Cloud or Gateway??

Dan, the Fireboard is hardware and think of the cloud as the internet. That's the difference but Fireboard can communicate with your phone through the Internet using the Fireboard App. That means that when you're getting a haircut you can control the cook at home. That assumes you have a data plan. I don't so I'm limited to only controlling at home. Do you have WIFI at home? You need that to get what you want. Bottom line - Fireboard will do what you want done if you have WIFI.

Hi I do have WiFi at home with my Verizon router, also data plan. So which one do I go with?
Thanks Dan
PS I already have the Digi Q DX 2 and for the Cloud all I would need is the controller.

Last edited:
My CyberQ Wifi (the predecessor to CyberQ Cloud) requires an external power adapter, which has to be connected to an AC outlet. The Fireboard has a self-contained battery that, when charged, can be used without AC power. That's about the only food for thought that I can think of to mention, which may or may not be important to you.

My CyberQ Wifi (the predecessor to CyberQ Cloud) requires an external power adapter, which has to be connected to an AC outlet. The Fireboard has a self-contained battery that, when charged, can be used without AC power. That's about the only food for thought that I can think of to mention, which may or may not be important to you.

Hi So even with the power adapter for the cloud I can monitor and change pit temps when I'm away from the the pit? Like when I'm at the store picking up a few things for the cook?
THanks Dan

Both the Fireboard and CyberQ give you the capability to monitor and control remotely. Either will suit your purpose. If you can get BBQ Guru to sell you a Cloud controller you should be in business.

Both the Fireboard and CyberQ give you the capability to monitor and control remotely. Either will suit your purpose. If you can get BBQ Guru to sell you a Cloud controller you should be in business.

Hi I'm leaning towards the Cloud,penny wise it would be much cheaper.
Thanks for your replies Dan

Hi All Sorry about all the questions, but I have another one. With the Fireboard is there an AC adapter like the Cloud has?
THanks Dan

Last edited:
Yes, it does come with an adapter, which can be used to charge its internal battery or to power the controller 24/7. This reminds me... if you ever have issues about extended power loss you can at least use its internal battery, assuming it is charged, and assuming you want to make some grub when the power is out :). The only way that I can think of to run the CyberQ is if you had some external battery pack that had an AC input socket (not that the Cyber runs on AC but it's power supply has an AC plug).

Not to throw a wrench, but my biggest concern is what would happen if either of these vendors went out of business some day. If that happens, it's my assumption that, immediately, I'll lose the option of remotely monitoring the controller since its data is stored on servers that they manage. And in the not too distant future I would also assume I would lose the ability to connect them to my smart phone via their app (if they don't update their app as Apple and Android update their operating systems then they will lose compatibility). During my decision process I had wished that a big vendor such as ThermoWorks produced their own, competing version.

Side note on the Fireboard. i just discovered I can use my Thermoworks Chef Alarm/Smoke Pro-Series probes with it. The cables are shorter, but I am able to multipurpose my probe collection between difference devices.

Hi I ordered the Fireboard.Will post back when I use it.
Thanks Dan

Hi All I used the Fireboard for the 1st time yesterday..When it worked it was excellent, but had problems with it losing data on my phone,.The controller was reading all the probes.It did keep the WSM 22 temps solid, the food temps were off some,may have to recalibrate the food probes? Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. I will call Fireboard today to fix the loss data problem.
Dan

Hi All I used the Fireboard for the 1st time yesterday..When it worked it was excellent, but had problems with it losing data on my phone,.The controller was reading all the probes.It did keep the WSM 22 temps solid, the food temps were off some,may have to recalibrate the food probes? Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. I will call Fireboard today to fix the loss data problem.
Dan

Hi I called Fireboard and received excellent customer service from Steve..It made my decision to spend the extra $ and go with Fireboard a very good one. I was blown away with the Fireboard .I would do it again in a heart bit.
Dan

I cannot speak to differences since I don't have the Cloud (I have the WiFi version just prior to the Cloud release) but both are advertised to support remote (afar) monitoring. I know my Fireboard does. The data is stored on servers that each respective vendor manages (I think).

Hi With Fireboard do I HAVE to be in a spot that has Wifi? I don't understand this Wifi or Blue Tooth stuff.I do have the Fireboard with the fan cable. I'v only used it once just around the house It did keep pit temps in WSM very good.
Thanks Dan

Hi With Fireboard do I HAVE to be in a spot that has Wifi?

I'm not an expert but when you are using it at your house I believe you are connecting from the FB controller to your phone App via WiFi after your FB is associated with your home network [router]. When you drive across town your App and FB will connect via their servers from your cell service or a "borrowed" WiFi service that you connect to.

I'm not an expert but when you are using it at your house I believe you are connecting from the FB controller to your phone App via WiFi after your FB is associated with your home network [router]. When you drive across town your App and FB will connect via their servers from your cell service or a "borrowed" WiFi service that you connect to.

Hi I think I got it working good now.It/Fireboard finally accepted my router password and connected. Stil testing it out, I did loose connection and had to reenter my router password which is a MPIA!!
I took Fireboard out to lunch with me and the temps kept on showing. Hope it keeps working.
Thanks Dan

Back