WSM 22.5 nine racks of ribs

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
Here in about 2 weeks, I'll be using the 2-2-1 method on nine racks of BB ribs on the WSM 22.5. I've only done 2 or 3 racks of ribs at a time. I could probably hold 6-8 racks laid flat but I'll be 500 miles from home and my options/resources for other ideas will be limited.

How have you done large cooks on the WSM? Cut them in half? Use rib racks (I have one)? I really don't want to roll them for when I wrap them and then slather them in sauce. Any other suggestions?

I'll be using Memphis dust (absolutely love it!) and a doctored up version of Sweet Baby Ray's: add lots of brown sugar, onion and garlic powder.....

Smoke on!

If you have time you could always do 4-5 racks, put them in fridge, do the next batch the day before etc. then warm them in oven or better yet grill that day. you may not have the time though...

I managed to pull off 9 racks on a 18" WSM a few years ago. I rolled 4 on the top rack and laid 1 across the top of them and on the bottom rack I did the same only I rolled 3. After the cook I flattened them out, sauced them and wrapped in foil for the cooler till needed. As long as you don't overcook, they flatten nicely even after rolling.

That makes sense...I wound up ordering several more rib racks......

It was a good deal...really....I'll post it on the main forum....

Bill mentioned a middle cooking grate. I added a middle cooking grate to my 22 using carriage bolts and an extra grate. I had seen the idea somewhere on this site. Having three cooking grates is great and you could easily do 9 racks laying flat.

If I remember correctly, the gap between the grates is 9". I used threaded rod, wingnuts and washers. The wingnuts make the height of the middle grate adjustable as needed.

Yeah, another rack is a good idea...

Well, they are on....I think my ATC decided it didn't want to work anymore- after I left it out in the rain like a dummy...

This place is unreal... Trying to upload pics...

Here we go:

Last edited:
I managed to pull off 9 racks on a 18" WSM a few years ago. I rolled 4 on the top rack and laid 1 across the top of them and on the bottom rack I did the same only I rolled 3. After the cook I flattened them out, sauced them and wrapped in foil for the cooler till needed. As long as you don't overcook, they flatten nicely even after rolling.

That sounds awesome!!! Would love to see pics of that!!!

Back