Bruce's Genesis Red Head 1000 Restore - Before & After

Hey Brian, if you have a Lowe's nearby they sell (at least near me in Maryland) slats that are nearly perfect in size, all you need to do is cut to length. I stained mine
with Teak oil, still perfect a year later. I also was missing the slider rail parts for my side table, called Weber and as I recall got them for a great price. Weber people
are super to deal with. Look over your grill carefully for any missing end caps, etc cuz when I ordered a few parts they threw some small things like that in free. Good luck, it's totally worth it.

Love the love you've given this redhead!

Could you tell me if your rotisserie is the Weber part number 9891? Not a better rotisserie in my opinion.

Yep, it is a 9891 roto. Pretty hard to find now. They were discontinued quite a while ago.

GREAT job!! how much for the FB from RCP? I get the #9813 from Weber for $49...but can't find them elsewhere....thx.....

for the 13 Flavor bars it was like $66 including shipping. I think the #9813 are the porcelin coated ones and I don't think there is any question that the better deal is the RCPlanebuyer set. They will last three times as long if not longer. The extra $15 is a no brainer.

Nice job Bruce. Your presentation was well done. I think your red cover looks pretty pristine. Mine had a couple of small dings but I decided I might do more damage by trying to repair them. So I just left them, it adds character.

I agree CBarton. Not much can be done once it is damaged. But, keep your eyes open. You will see others and you might be able to snag a "Pristine" cover from another one. I have another redhead in the garage right now.

Bruce, you seem to be the most informed on these old Genesis 1000 Redheads. Now that I finished my rebuild I don't really know what to do with it. I have a much newer and bigger Weber for daily use.
Is there a market for these old restored grills ? If so what would be the going price ? Otherwise what do you do with an old grill that you don't really want to use and get all dirty again ? Just show it to your friends, take it to antique car shows, show it off at farmers markets? Any ideas?
Thanks

Hahahah, I understand the dilema. I debated a while about actually restoring this for myself. I also was very hesitant with putting it to use the first time after fixing it up. I have used a Weber Q100 for over 10 years and really saw little need for a big three burner. It is just me and the wife most of the time. But, since I got it finished, I have used the Q100 exactly one time and that was last night. I just love the Redhead. Anyway, yah, I agree, if you don't have a need or even a use for it, then sell it. If I had tried to sell mine, I probably wouldn't let it go for anything less than $250. I got the missing drop shelf off a donor grill, and everything else was still usable aside from the flavorizer bars. They RCPlanebuyer bars (13 of them) in SS. My total investment in the grill is well under $100, but my time, especially with the wood for the tables and handle as well as full cleanup is worth something. The Redhead is another bonus.

If I were you, I would either sell the grill, or wait for an occasion to use it a gift. Wedding present, Xmas present, etc.... for one of your REALLY good friends or relatives. That way, you still get to see it on occasion and make sure it isn't being neglected like it had in its past life. :)

Oh, by the way, I am likely not the most informed on the Redhead 1000 on this forum. There are others that I am sure are more informed on this one and the others. I just did a lot of research and put a lot of time and effort into mine. This forum has been the source of the vast majority of what I know about this grill and other Weber grills.

Last edited:
One other question if I may, where is a good source for the rotisserie motor and mount?

I have the basket and handles and clamps.

I see the motor is available several places but which is the correct mount?

Brian, I am confident that I could easily place 20 pounds or more an that swing shelf and not have any problem.
By the way, my rod is not "bent" really except at the 90 degree angles where it attaches into the slide bracket on the frame and then again where it angles into the bracket on the shelf itself. Unless you have a different model of shelf support, it might be bent incorrectly.

Here are a couple photos of my swing shelf in the down and then up positions, showing the support hardware. Also, a video showing the swing shelf operation on my grill.

1Uv8s0p.jpg

zWASCem.jpg

VIDEO:

Hey Bruce, My new Redhead is missing the drop down tray and rod. Where would one find a tray like that. I just checked on Weber.com and they said page doesnt exist when you click on it. Thanks I cant wait to improve mine.

Bryan: I take it you already found your donor grill for that drop down table as stated in your PM.

I just smoked my first batch of fish on my 1000 today. It looks like they came out great. I have them in the fridge now cooling and later will do a taste test. But they look good. I had to jump through some hoops to be able to smoke fish with my Genny 1000, but I seem to have come up with a working system.

I also used my new Thermoworks Smoke remote temp sensor and it worked wonderfully. It takes all the guesswork out of smoking. Since I have never really smoked anything (especially fish) before, it helped immensely so I didn't have to guess about temps. I will be using the "SMOKE" for all my grilling in the future. I was thinking, "this is going to be great for the next time I do a rotisserie chicken" but then, I realized the probe wires would get all wound around the rotisserie after I turned it on....hahaha.

b7LKerH.jpg

Very nice restoration.
Is'nt it rewording breathing new life into these icons of American design and ingenuity?

Well done sir!

hahaha, I wrapped aluminum foil around the first 2/3 of the front burner and lit the far end. Then I ran the grill on just that one burner but on LOW. I still had to prop the lid open up to 3" to keep the temps down. The recipe calls for temps to start at 100. 120 was about the lowest I could get without opening the lid further than about 3". I figured that if I propped it open more than that, it would reduce the smoke affect too much. I increased the grill temps gradually according to the recipe by lowering the grill hood a bit at a time.

That being said, I tasted the fish last night and it was great. The only issues was that it was a bit salty IMO, but that can be solved with larger cuts of fish or less marinading time. It was a big success and I have to find some bigger fish now. A couple 4-5 lb carp would be perfect, I think.

I've done it with whole salmon but I did not wrap my burner(s). I just used the front burner on the Genesis. I'm thinking because the of the larger number of burners on the Summit I might have better luck i.e. I can put the item I am smoking on one side only and keep the opposite side burner on. I've also accomplished pretty good results on my Wolf because of it's very large size I can turn on the 2 outside burners and put what I want to smoke in the center. I do ribs this way on it. Spares turn out great

Exactly, I thought one of those 4 or 6 burner North South grills would work better for smoking. With using just one burner on a 3 burner grill, you still put out a ton of heat. But using a single burner on a six burner and then putting the meat to be smoked on the opposite side seems like it would work quite well.

But, I have what I have and will make due. It isn't like I will be smoking fish every week. But, I certainly am itching to do it again. I just need to get out and catch the right fish. Seems like Carp are awful hard to find and catch when you really want to catch them.

Just come down here to the Illinois river LOL. No need to "catch" them they just jump in your boat literally.

Yah, those jumping kind. I have watch several youtube videos on them. Funny as can be.....But, yah, exactly what I need a couple of those. But, I guess I should be glad they haven't over run the area up here yet.

Back