Summit door flames!

Kat B (Chef Kat)

Lately with the lid of my Summit closed, I'm seeing two jets of flame shooting out and up the lid. They disappear when I open the grill. I've taken the flavorizer bars out and it looks like it has burned through the flame shield in those two places and another two look ready to go. Has anyone had this problem? Will replacing the heat shield fix my problem?

It seems the the burner jets burned through the cookbox, a Weber is sending me another under warranty. I'm only posting this in case someone has the same problem and does a search, or else I'm just talking to myself.

[IMG:left]
DSCN0123.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopefully this works, I'm not familiar with posting photos here. We've had the grill (Summit S-650) for roughly three years. Prior to this we had a Genesis for many years and never had a problem like this.

Kat, you bought this NEW three years ago???
if only 3 years old, that is some serious damage...holeyballs!

I'm not a gasser guy but that looks like ya have some serious burner tube issues. An acetylene torch comes to mind...
Tim

any updates on your gas grill and if it was repaired or not? interested in what you found.

i have a 2011 summit 670 that i purchased last year that i think might have some issues with the burners or manifold. i'm calling weber customer service this week to get a order going and have them come out and repair what is necessary.

Kat, any update on the cause and/or fix ?

I was just about to post a topic regarding this on my Uncle's S-650. I took it apart and looked for the soemthing to be blocking the flow in the burner, but it was clean. I am a charcoal guy so I don't have much of a clue. His started this a year or so ago, he has had it since '07.

We did take it completely apart to replace the cook box and it didn't seem to have any reason for blasting through like that. This makes me very nervous that it could happen again. The only thing I can think of was the assembly that feeds the gas to the various jet tubes leaks, unseen until it eventually blasts through the cookbox again.We'll try to keep a close eye on it, but for now it is still a mystery.

Back