Ragu

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
FRUG.-We have made this at least 3 times so far. It is Very Good. The "Frug" says,

"Ragu is a simple sauce made almost entirely with meat, and it is common throughout all of Northern Italy. So enjoy, but this dish makes anything on which you put it into an entire meal."

Ragu

Makes about 3 quarts

1/2 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb. pancetta, coarsely ground
2 lbs. veal, coarsely ground
2 lbs. pork butt, coarsely ground
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
6 TB butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tsp chopped fresh sage
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 10 to 12 qt. heavy bottom stainless steel kettle, add the oil, garlic, celery, carrot and onion. Saute until the onion is transparent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pancetta and sauté 5 minutes. Add the veal and pork and brown until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, chicken stock, white wine and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours. Add the butter, cream, sage and cheese and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the top of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.

Source: Frug Cooks Italian - Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet

Last edited:
Thank's Joan!
I love a good Ragu and the Frug was an early inspiration in my cooking journey.

Tim

Thank's Joan!
I love a good Ragu and the Frug was an early inspiration in my cooking journey.

Tim

My pleasure Timothy, I hope you make it someday.

I sure do miss the Frug. I used to tape his shows back in the ol' days, and I have most of his cookbooks. I keep telling myself that one of these days I should play the tapes and see if they still work.
It has been quite a few years. lol

Hi all, just want to say, I think this is a good recipe to make this time of the year. Not only is it delicious, but it will make the house smell good as it is cooking. ;)

Ben, if you ever need a suggestion when it gets cooler out, please try this. DH and I really enjoy this VERY MUCH!!!!!!

Sorry I didn't get to my computer in time to help you out today, but you got some great ideas from the gang. ;)

Back