BBQ / Grill accessories

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Over time there has been a lot of grill accessories that reinvent the wheel. Most recently, or perhaps most notably are the slow and sear and the vortex for the kettle. I'm wondering what you have used and your thoughts and recommendations on accessories 4 barbecuing and grilling?

I should be elaborate on that. Do you think some of them are gimmicks and which ones, and are some of them worth their weight and useful?

Good question - I'm interested in this too. I've avoided many accessories but a couple weeks ago I got both the vortex & the hunsaker smoker fire basket.....along with new vents to freshen up my WSM. I still haven't even tried the charcoal baskets that come with the performers.

Hi Jason. Thanks for the question. I use whatever tools work well. Most of my favorites are for working directly with the food. I consider the following essential: tongs, spatula, grill brush, and chimney starter. Them there are some tools that are just nice have, including an instant-read thermometer, charcoal baskets, and a perforated grill pan. I have developed thousands of recipes with those tools alone. I have not used the tools you mention. Honestly, I just haven't felt to need to buy them. I guess they are designed to manage the way charcoal burns, which is obviously a crucial aspect of grilling and smoking. For me the standard charcoal baskets and proper use of the vents are enough to give me the low temps I need when smoking meats.

Back