Did I just block my sunsetter solar shade with a gazebo?

Hey, I saw a response here through the email notifications from @Cliff Bartlett, but I don't see the response in the actual thread.

BTW, the sunsetter doesn't open and close on its own. There's a remote that controls whether to bring the shade up or down.

But the solar panel is supposed to charge it so that when the remote is pressed, the mechanical action of moving it up or down is performed.

There were 3 versions. A completely manual version; a version where it charged by an electric cord; and a version where it was charged with the solar panel. I opted for the solar panel version, partially for the cleaner look. And so one outlet wasn't always in use.

I got the gazebo from here. There's 3 sizes.

https://www.costco.com/Messina-Sun-Shelter.product.100147231.html

If you got a notification of a response, and it's not here.....check your InBox for a Private Message......

Hard to say remotely if you have blocked sufficient light to degrade the solar performance of your shade.....is it possible to relocate the solar cells if necessary?

R

The solar cell is installed under your overhang so I doubt it was ever getting direct sunlight.
If the shade worked fine before I don't see that gazebo blocking anything, or does the shade not work now?

Tim

Last edited:
The solar cell is installed under your overhang so I doubt it was ever getting direct sunlight.
If the shade worked fine before I don't see that gazebo blocking anything, or does the shade not work now?

Tim

The shade still works, but I've only had the gazebo for 6 days.

And I don't even use the drop down shade every day. Most weekdays, I don't use it, since it's already dark by the time I come home in the evening.

So if it's not getting enough sunlight, I won't know for a while. And I'll have to make sure it's not a battery problem with the remote too, if it stops working. I haven't had to replace the batteries in the remote yet, in almost 3.5 years.

Agree, that it was never getting direct sunlight. I'm just trying to make sure I didn't make the situation a lot worse.

If you got a notification of a response, and it's not here.....check your InBox for a Private Message......

Hard to say remotely if you have blocked sufficient light to degrade the solar performance of your shade.....is it possible to relocate the solar cells if necessary?

R

I'm not sure. I hope so.

But it probably depends on how long the white wire behind the solar panel, is.

I don't remember how long it is, anymore.

The answer would depend on the capacity of the battery, how much is used operating the shade, how often you operate the shade, and what rate of recharge the solar cell is providing, all things we don't know. My guess would be it's probably okay as long as you don't do more than open the shade in the morning and close it at night.

You could test it out by going through open/close cycles and counting how many you can do before the battery runs out of juice. Then see how long it takes to charge up enough to do one complete cycle. As long as it doesn't take more than one day to recharge enough for one cycle, you're good.

The answer would depend on the capacity of the battery, how much is used operating the shade, how often you operate the shade, and what rate of recharge the solar cell is providing, all things we don't know. My guess would be it's probably okay as long as you don't do more than open the shade in the morning and close it at night.

You could test it out by going through open/close cycles and counting how many you can do before the battery runs out of juice. Then see how long it takes to charge up enough to do one complete cycle. As long as it doesn't take more than one day to recharge enough for one cycle, you're good.

Good point.

I do only open it once in the morning, and close it once in the evenings, and that's only on the weekends when I'm at home.

There might be a day where I open/close it 2 or 3 times, if I'm going back and forth between home and elsewhere, during the day.

Now that you have that Gazebo installed is the solar shade even necessary anymore?
I mean the reason you had it was to shade the sun, but now it looks like the gazebo takes care of that.

Tim

I'd say yes, so people can't look in when I'm not there, and see a vacant living room.

There's also a lot of electronics there. I don't want it to be so visible when I'm not there.

So yes, I don't need the shade anymore for protection from the sun. But for other privacy or security reasons, I'd still want it.

2 more things related to the gazebo.

It hasn't rained yet. But when it does, I hope it was installed correctly, and I hope it's leak-proof. So that will be one test. (As will wind).

2nd thing is that once I BBQ under it, I want to see how well the vented top functions. It's supposed to let smoke out. So hopefully it does a decent job. And there isn't smoke residue left under the roof, that I'll have to clean up.

So a few tests coming up.

Not sure whether to create a new thread or not.

But my Sunsetter EasyShade had started stuttering about 1.5 weeks ago, when I'd hit the down button the remote. Only when I hit down, not up.

Sunsetter recommended trying a new battery first.

Then possibly sending me a spacer kit.

I tried a new battery. It was operational for 30 seconds, then stopped responding. I went back to the old battery, and it didn't respond.

I called them back today, and they're sending me the spacer kit.

If that doesn't work, then they'll send me a new solar panel. But that is pro-rated @ $160. I'm not sure how much I'd have to pay, but let's assume I'd have to pay all of it, just for the sake of discussion.

That's a lot of money for a replacement part. I've only had this for 43 months (3.5+ years).

I'm wondering if I have to get a replacement solar panel, that I'd rather just get a whole new unit from another brand.

Are there any recommendations?

I need something that is big enough for a back yard sliding door. I'll post the exact dimensions later, I need to check.

I'd like it to be remote control operated, and possibly voice operated too. Not a must, but voice operated would be nice to have. I don't have something like Amazon Alexa set up, but I do have an opened Echo. If I could use Alexa for this, then I'd set it up.

A solar powered one would be nice again, but I don't want to have to replace it every 3 - 4 years again. Or at least if I had to replace it, I don't want to spend $160 again, hopefully a replacement part is cheaper.

I see there's SpringBlinds, and they're cheaper than Sunsetter. I don't know how good their customer service is though.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B077TLSQJT/tvwb-20

Back