Can't bring myself to use my Silver C

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
I bought my Silver C new in 2002. I can't tell you how many times I've cooked on it over the years. I ran out of gas about 5 years ago and never bothered to fill it; it's just too easy to cook on my Performer and I prefer the results. My wife likes to cook on the grill but only on the gasser, so I got a new tank of gas and replaced the burners and regulator. I cooked some prime steaks on it a few weeks ago and everyone liked them but I didn't - I missed the flavor I get from charcoal. It's like a diabetic told to use sugar substitutes or someone with heart disease told to use margarine. I'm keeping it because my wife uses it and it's OK for dogs, burgers, and boneless chicken breasts, but I hope I never have to cook another steak on it. All hail charcoal, sugar, and butter!

My Silver B is about that age. I've rebuilt it a few times over the years.

I like to use it when it's very cold or snowing up here. I can get a small taste of summer when it's -20°F

When it's warmer, I go charcoal or wood.

A foil pouch of wood chips might help for when you use the Silver C, or when your wife does use it.

A foil pouch of wood chips might help for when you use the Silver C, or when your wife does use it.

This is my suggestion too.

An A-maze-n smoke maze or a smoke tube with flat sides would be worth using (I don't like using foil for wood chips but it's widely recommended by those in the know). Nice thing about the smoke tube is you could try cold-smoking some cheese during the colder months.

I feel the same way,
Some things are just better with more “Basic” methods, just did a wonderful wild salmon fillet using the 22” in the rain.(light drizzle really) but, yes I could have used the Genny. I prefer the method I have been using forever. Given the weather, the Genny might have been a little quicker but, I like charcoal! For a quick pound of shrimp? Well that’s a different animal so to speak.

This is my suggestion too.

An A-maze-n smoke maze or a smoke tube with flat sides would be worth using (I don't like using foil for wood chips but it's widely recommended by those in the know). Nice thing about the smoke tube is you could try cold-smoking some cheese during the colder months.
I’m thinking some smoked cheese will be in the cards for this fall/winter too! I like the expanding tube that I got from A-Maze-N, it works just as described! Cool piece in the arsenal!

Back