Has anyone made a hybrid?

RichA

I have a pretty mint silver b that i love. However it’s not a deep box and doesn’t have all the bars that a 1000 has. Anyone ever put a 1000 into a silver b stand with the dual flip up thermoset tables? Think it would be a cool project.

Rich,

I was the one who turned out to be wrong in the thread Sam referenced. There is a difference between the "classic" 1000-5000 series grills and the newer Silver/Gold/Platinum ones. Because of the difference in the firebox, the frame is a little different lengthwise. The control panels are also different because the burners are spaced differently even though the front to back width is the same.

What you CAN do is put an old classic hood on a newer Silver/Gold firebox (or vice versa). I know that doesn't get you what you want. I had to give up your idea when I did my Skyline, because I wanted the 13 bar firebox. I couldn't use the newer frame and had to go with the old frame. To adapt the newer style trays on an old frame would require removal and re-welding of the clips that they swing up on, but I don't think it is impossible to do.

Last edited:

Back