What are you guys using to polish the frame, control panel, ...?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
There was a post once where some of you described what kind of automotive polishing products you used for the grills frame, control panel, ... I can't find that post anymore.
Is there a product you can recommend?

Thanks
Stefan

If you are talking about the porcelain control panel on the classic Genesis and Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum grills then the first go-to in my opinion is Simple Green and 0000 steel wool. It is amazing what this can do. I would NOT do that on painted metal like the frame, of course, although Simple Green and a much milder cleaning cloth will do well. If you have these totally clean, you can - and I have done it - wax to get a better shine and some extra protection.

The stainless steel control panel on the newer Genesis grills poses a much bigger challenge since the lettering and lines are just printed on the stainless. They will come off with any kind of strong cleaning. Not to worry, Weber will be happy to sell you a replacement panel so you can do it again:mad:!

I'm still learning about how best to detail porcelain coated grill components, but automotive paint cleaning products work well on painted surfaces, and they can hinder the growth of rust too.

As for using these products on porcelain, I don't recall seeing any negative effects on my stuff (including charcoal grills), but as Jon mentioned above, 0000 steel wool and Simple Green should remove any above-surface defects. I have even used 0000 steel wool and Dupont's #7 compound on car glass to remove acid rain stains with good results. (spot test first though)

Back