Regulator issue?

Christopher S

I have a Genesis 2. When I get the grill lit it flickers on and off. Get maybe 250 out of it but was easily getting 500 a couple weeks ago. Any trick tips on switching out the hose and regulator?

Turn off the three burner knobs. Close the valve on the propane tank. Disconnect the propane tank from the hose. Let it set for a minute, then reconnect the propane tank to the hose. Make sure the burner knobs are still in the OFF position. Now, turn the propane tank on SLOWLY. Proceed to turn a burner on and light it, then turn on and light the rest of the burners.

The tank has a safety in it where if you leave a burner open or you turn the tank valve on too quick, it senses a major leak and shuts down flow. I am pretty sure that is what you are experiencing. Following my instructions above should solve that. If not, try another tank. Don't start replacing parts until you have checked the easy thing.

Resetting the regulator was a no go. Going to get a new tank today. Keep you posted on how that works. Man this site is legit. You guys rock!

I would try to find another tank to just test it with rather than buying a new tank. But, you can take it to a walmart or other similar store and do the tank swap, where they swap one tank for another filled one.

another thing to check is the condition of the burners. If they are all corroded or gunked up and have restricted or plugged holes, you will get much lower performance. But, with the flickering that you describe, it sound more like a propane delivery problem.

Also, have you checked to see if it is just one or two burners that are burning low or is it all three?

It’s all three burners and they are new. Everything in the manifold was cleaned and regressed by a professional before I saw you could easily diy. I have a spare tank I need to get filled anyway so it works out.

Yah, always best to have two tanks when you run propane so you don't run out in the middle of a cook. Also, if you go to a Walmart or other store that has propane exchange, you will get a new filled tank when you turn the other one in.

Back