22" platinum on Craig's list

Matt in CT

TVWBB Member
Thoughts on this?? I like the tables, and as a whole this looks in good shape. Appears the grip on the damper handle is bent, but I should be able to tweak or replace.
Not sure but also appears to be a dark spot on the bowl; left side just below the table in the 1st and second pictures. They possibly banked the coals there.

It would need to fit in my Subaru crosstrek, is the frame one piece?

What did they sell for new, and when were they made?

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-platinum-seriesred/6296420235.html

Some former owners have complained about the vent placement on the lid. Not completely sure why, but it looks like a great grill to have.

Had not thought about it till you mentioned it. The top vent is dead center instead of offset, maybe people feel there is an issue as far as air circulation....

I like it and if the price were right it's a maybe. It would be a two hour round trip to pick up. I don't usually buy used; never have.

I really like the style of that model. One could always replace the lid if necessary (if it's available in red, which I'm sure it is)

Be interesting to see what Mike D. has to say about the unit.

Rusty, what were the issues with the center vent? I can't see any real downside, if you think back to the "old days" with tripod legs, the "long leg" went into the wind and the vent went downwind current design would simply have you set the handle into the wind and the effect is the same, no?
I don't care for the table design or size but,other than that, seems just fine, great price anyway!

Yea it's a great price and I would nab it. When it first came out I was one that questioned the placement of the lid vent top dead center.
I'm an old kettle guy, lid vent for indirect is always placed over the meat away from the fire.
Direct center is prolly great for grilling, but indirect?, please somebody school me on how that works .

Tim

Rusty, what were the issues with the center vent?

To the best of my knowledge, the location of the vent allowed undesirable amounts of smoke and heat to escape (for indirect cooking). Don't quote me on it, but I'm almost certain I read something to that affect.

A call to Weber may shed light on it.

Sorry, I thought the original Weber handbook I had (still do somewhere) said long leg into the wind, vent downwind. And according to the same "split fire" indirect method espoused there as well, the vent position was still the same. At least that's my memory and still my preferred method. Not picking an argument, just questioning my memory now!

Sorry, I thought the original Weber handbook I had (still do somewhere) said long leg into the wind, vent downwind. And according to the same "split fire" indirect method espoused there as well, the vent position was still the same. At least that's my memory and still my preferred method. Not picking an argument, just questioning my memory now!

I never saw that in my kettle book. Wonder why Weber recommends that (leg in the wind)?

The idea was that it "kind of" creates a bit of convection effect, cool air in the bottom (2 leading daisy wheel holes into the wind) the one trailing bottom and top vents downwind, anyway, that's my recollection and I'm sticking with it. My book is a good forty years old. If I'm full of ash, Mike Durso is welcome to correct me? Since the technique has served me so well, I will continue using it until a series of disasters befall me which I can directly attribute to the vent placement. Over indulgence of adult beverages, or long phone calls from relatives don't count.

I have the same grill in my collection. I've used it only a few times for direct cooking when I needed an extra 22.5. I haven't experienced any heat loss or issue with maintaining temp. My Performer is always my "go-to" grill though when we host large parties and I need additional real estate on the grates I pull this one out to supplement. My biggest issue is the way the lid "slides" back into its holder. It takes awhile to get used to it.

Back