HeaterMeter + MicroDamper - enough airflow for XL BGE

AJMurphy

I have completed my HM 4.3 build and I fabricated a connector that fits nicely into the airflow intake port of the BGE XL. Everything seems to work ok, but I'm not happy with how long it took to get my grill up to temperature and hold it. Even with the fan running 100%, I wasn't able to hit my target temperature of 275 today. I'm wondering if the problem is the 90 degree angle that I'm introducing. I had originally thought that would be a great way to make sure I don't get ash in my microdamper enclosure. Thoughts?

Last edited:
How open was your top vent? If it's closed off too much, the fan on the microdamper won't be able to overcome the static pressure inside of the bbq.

I would try again without the elbow in place and if that doesn't help, I'd suggest moving to a damper that's got a blower rather than a fan.

I've run a microdamper on a L (not XL) sized Big Green Egg and it had no problems hitting 275F. Sometimes I want ribs and I want them fast, ok?! I think that's about the upper limit of what I could get out of it without also opening the slide a little, so maybe with the angle plus the larger egg you're hitting the same limit?

My "main" is a modified microdamper with a larger intake/output hole so I know the fan itself is powerful enough if the restriction isn't a problem.

Back