Thread: Russian Dressing & Dip

Russian Dressing & Dip

I'm not sure I've had Russian dressing before, I think I've had it confused with Catalina for many years.

I googled it this morning, saw how close it was to Thousand Island which I made a few years ago, & decided to give it a try....I think the horseradish sold me on the idea.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ssing-51182860

"Russian dressing and Thousand Island dressing are often confused because both begin with a base of mayonnaise and ketchup or ketchup-style chili sauce, which results in a pink salad dressing. But where Thousand Island is a bit sweet and studded with pickle relish, Russian dressing is on the spicier side, with a hint of heat from horseradish and hot sauce.

Yield: Makes about 1 1/4 cups
    ACTIVE TIME 10 minutes
    TOTAL TIME10 minutes

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
    1 cup purchased or homemade mayonnaise
    1/4 cup ketchup-style chili sauce or ketchup (I used ketchup)
    4 teaspoons bottled (regular; not packed in beet juice) horseradish, or to taste
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot Sauce (I used Franks original)
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika (I used cayenne, I think I only have smoked paprika but couldn't see it)
    Fine sea salt

PREPARATION

In a mortar and pestle, mash the onion to create a paste, or use a large heavy knife to mince and mash the onion into a paste. Transfer the onion paste to a small bowl and whisk in the mayonnaise, chili sauce, horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and sweet paprika. Season with fine sea salt, if desired. DO AHEAD: The dressing can be prepared ahead and refrigerated, in an airtight container, up to 2 weeks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

While looking around, I searched to see if food wishes had a recipe for Russian dressing (not that I saw), but then I found something else that looked interesting:

Hot Baked Reuben Dip
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2016/...our-super.html

I don't much care for Kraft Russian dressing but this sounds great! I'll be doing this soon using the chili sauce and for my liking extra hot horseradish

thanks for the post

I hope you like it!

The first batch lasted 4 days, I made another batch I think on Friday but I free-handed everything & used a little extra hot sauce and 1 clove of raw smashed garlic. The garlic added a little bite, something definitely extra! I went to visit some family the next day and made a mostly original version for them (left my garlic addition out). I went from memory & it wasn't quite right, then I remembered I'd forgot to add cayenne & hot sauce. Perfecto!

I made this again today. At first I made it as specified, but it was missing something. I'll give my dressings a couple hours to develop, but it was still lacking so I grated probably 1 garlic clove (I did a little over half of a large clove this time, so probably = 1 regular clove) and it was back like I like it.

If I was more used to Russian dressing I might have a different preference, but I happen to like it with the garlic addition! I also used a touch more horseradish sauce than called for (tail end of a bottle), and extra minced onion (white) would've been just fine.

This is a strange dressing but it's grown on me. I plan on trying some Thousand Island again, and then maybe somehow steer it this way.

I finished up my last batch from a couple weeks ago this morning on celery sticks, & made another. Last time I just used finely minced onion - this time I squeezed the onion through a garlic press, & followed that with a small clove of garlic.

CaseT posted a recipe for Russian dressing that I thought was interesting, but I'm short of pickle relish so maybe I'll try his with the addition of pickle relish next time.

CaseT's thread: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?724...f-and-Pastrami

the recipe he posted that I haven't tried:
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/4 cup pickle relish (My wife and I prefer dill. Original recipe calls for sweet)
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon (I go heavy and use extra hot) horseradish
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (you can sub Henderson's relish)
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas