Wireless Access Point as Wireless Bridge

Marlen Owens

I'm gettng ready to take the plunge with a Stoker. I have a Linksys Access Point (WAP11) that is not being used and according to the documentation, it can be configured as a wireless bridge. I am a novice at wireless networking. Can the WAP11 be used for the Stoker to communicate with my existing wireless network? As I understand it, a bridge is used for connecting two different networks and this is where I get confused about its use with the Stoker.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reponse. In that thread I did not see any reference to an access point configured as a bridge. Am I missing something (it well could be)

I don't think you can use a WAP11 as a bridge. The manual says you can use it as an access point or a repeater:
WAP11 Manual

An access point is a device that turns a wired network into a wireless network. That is, the Ethernet port on the back is hooked up to your existing WIRED LAN. The WAP11 then turns the LAN into a wireless LAN by allowing WiFi devices to connect to it.

What you need is a bridge or a gaming adapter (WGA54G)

-rob

It MAY be able to be flashed with a third party utility to convert it to have bridge capabilities, but as a self described network novice, I would not recommend you even pursue that path. I was trying to compile a list of known bridges that work 'out of the box' to help folks be able to scour for one, but I am not getting much feedback on that effort.

Thanks for the response guys. I think the question has been answered. In the link that Rob provided, one section of the manual showed configuration options:

WAP11.1.jpg

The fine print indicates that the wireless bridge mode only works with other bridges of the exact same model - strange but true. Sort of limits the functionality of this device configured as a bridge.

Looks like I will be picking up a WGA54G!

Back