Hello from Delaware

Zeke A

Hi,

New member here saying hello. In the distant past, I was a Hibachi guy. But I've had a 2004 Genesis Silver A in black for 13 years now. A wedding gift. (I remember writing the thank-you note saying, "When your BBQ grill has white walls, you know you've arrived!). It has the built-in metal mesh spider stoppers, a thermoset work table on the left with fold-out extension, and a small condiments holder on the right in front of the control panel. Thermo in the middle. Grey plastic handle. Just this spring I bought new PC FBs and PCI grates. Breathed new life into it.

I've also had a small Smokey Joe in black (which I'm having trouble finding right now) and a 14.5" Go Anywhere in black (charcoal) for years. The Go Anywhere is a vet of Burning Man 2003. I took a shipment of Omaha Steaks with me and someone at the group kitchen complimented my steak as the best she'd ever had! That was unexpectedly rewarding, and I must give a nod to Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, which we call "Crazy Jane's" around our house.

A few weeks ago I splurged on a Performer Deluxe in green. When we were growing up in the 70's we had the standard 22" kettle in black and my sister recently located our old corn and potato ring, which I'm super stoked about because it has sentimental value and is no longer available. (In fact, I saw the old grill the other day. No legs, dented lid, but the bowl was still good as were the grates. I probably should have salvaged it but, regrettably, I did not. Of course, my wife would have killed me if I had (see below).)

I've always lusted after the older style 3-burner Genesis grills, especially the redhead and the one with the extra burner on the side. A few years ago I salvaged a redhead from the trash, fixed it up so everything worked, and then gave it away. Kind of regret that now. She was a beaut. But, what was I going to do with two grills, right? (Not counting the two small ones, plus a small propane Go Anywhere-type in green my wife brought to the party.)

The recent introduction of the new Genesis II models re-kindled my interest. I was looking for reviews and ended up here. One thing that stood out was that they're now made in China (unless you go with the LX models) and are reportedly of lesser build quality (thinner metal) than the older models. Also, their BTU's per square inch are down from previous models. Don't really know if that matters, but it doesn't sit well.

Here's where the story gets interesting. A few weeks ago (before I purchased the Performer) a neighbor put their older style 3-burner Genesis B (I think) in green out on the curb. Just what I had been looking for since the redhead's departure. It has the thermo on the right of the lid. One work tray of Durawood slats on the left, grey plastic handle. Wide and long cart with casters and 8" wheels. No shelf or doors. Very solid. The grates were shot, but the PC FBs were still good, as were the burners, and black plastic spider stoppers. Needed a new igniter. The small control knobs were all broken.

Then, this past July 4 weekend I was surfing CL and I found what turned out to be -- I think -- an old 3-burner Genesis 2000 in black with side burner for $50. It has the wood slat work table on the left with fold-out extension and wood slat bottom shelf and wood handle. Thermo on the right (not working). It was very dirty, and the burners were tweaked in that the air vents were all out of whack. Bad main igniter. No spider stoppers except a partially melted blue plastic one on the 7810 side burner, which was a disgusting mess with plastic wrap melted onto the inside cover. It does have nice recent stainless grates and 13 FBs in okay shape. But the manifold is very old, with some rust and a quick connect fitting on the regulator. Small control knobs in decent shape. I got it home only to realize upon closer inspection that it had serious rust on the left cross bar at the firebox bolt. And there were some pinholes in the firebox.

I had seen the angle-iron replacement threads on the restoration forum, but that seemed overly ambitious given that I wasn't interested in doing a full restore. Long story short, after lots of cleaning I ended up swapping out the left frame from the Genesis B along with the lid, firebox, manifold, burners, spider stoppers, and FBs. Worked like a charm. Essentially, I created a Frankenstein version of the much coveted older Genesis 2000 in green with side burner. Heats to about 525 degrees. My greatest technical triumph, aside from realizing I could swap out the rusted left frame, was to push a tube connector all the way through one of the Genesis B's frame connectors and insert it into the Genesis 2000's frame connector for a rock-solid frame. One deficiency, which I've decided not to mess with, is that the left firebox bolt broke off in the hole and I'm afraid if I trying to drill it out I'll risk ruining it. Just don't have that level skill with a drill or extractor, especially steel in aluminum.

My wife was not quite as pleased with this whole endeavor as I was, and began complaining that we now had too many grills and her back yard was starting to look like a junk yard. She even got our nine-year-old to agree that maybe daddy has a problem with grills!! Then came yesterday.

Wife and son head out of town so just for the heck of it I bring up CL. Thar she blows! A late model Genesis Silver C in black with thermo in the middle, all thermoset work tables including fold-outs on the left and right, and 7811 side burner in perfect shape, no rust, for $25. Has built-in metal mesh spider stoppers. Has five PC FB's and PCI cast iron grates, although they are showing their age. Needs only a main igniter. Cover included. Did I mention $25? I just couldn't pass it up. Damn near matches my 2004 Genesis Silver A to the "T". Cleaned it up and it fired to 650 degrees in 15 minutes!

Here's the dilemma, now what do I do? In a short few weeks, we went from one gasser (and three little ones, two of which are charcoal) to three working gassers (and one that is just parts) and the Performer (plus the three little ones). I can't get rid of the green Franken 2000 because it matches the Performer and fits perfectly in the available grill area. The premier Genesis Silver C is just a couple inches too long for the grilling area, but it is in perfect shape. I can't get rid of that! Maybe I can move it to the side yard in case we ever want to grill over there (yeah, this makes no sense). Then there's the marital Genesis Silver A with new grates in fine shape. I can't get rid of that either. Maybe I could give it to my sister, if she's even interested. At least that way it would still be in the family. All of a sudden my good fortune has led to an embarrassment of riches. Riding the horns of a dilemma for sure.

Just wait until my family returns from out of town. I'm going to need you guys to do some explaining for me, okay?!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!! I lived in Wilmington during the early 2000's. Delaware is a underrated place. Not sure that I can be of much help...maybe the misses has a big family and you have a big family cookout? :D At the very least, show her how many grills some of the other folks on this forum have. :p

Back