How to replace electronic ignition

MCarbo

TVWBB Member
I have a Genesis E-310 gas grill, about 3.5 years old. For the past six weeks or so the electronic ignition has been a problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My first reaction was to change the battery but the same pattern continued. I cleaned the contacts in the battery holder and still the same results. I may be slow but I figure it's time to change the electronic ignition. I can pick up a new one at the local Home Depot for about $30. Not a big deal. But my concern is how easy/difficult will this be to replace? From what I'm looking at it's going to require some serious breaking down of the grill. Am I correct? Never having done this previously I'm a bit apprehensive. :confused:

I just replaced my son's over the weekend. He has the burners on the side, and it took all of about 3 minutes. But, we only changed the button, and electronics, and didn't have to changed the spark-generator. i would try that method, and if that doesn't fix it, you may have to spend more time.

Thanks for the quick reply. My model is has the 3 front burners, if that makes a difference. I'm thinking I'll need to change out the entire ignition since the problem is that half the time it just doesn't spark at all.

If all of them don't lite (Sparks at each tube) then it will be easy. One panel to replace just the central module. If it's just certain ignition points then you have to take apart more parts to access individual spark units.

It's not difficult at all. Take the burner knobs off, pop off the ignition button and unscrew the collar. Grab a #2 phillips head screwdriver and sit down right in front of the grill pretty close to the cabinet doors. Look up under the very right hand corner of the front control panel, right next to the grill frame. You should see a small, flat, rectangular metal plate with a screw. Remove the screw and the plate should come right off. Do the same on the left side. Stand up, grab the control panel and gently wiggle and lift it off the grill. This will expose the manifold, valves and openings that the burner tubes go through.

FWIW, I'd do all the above and see if you can fix the ignition issue first. Check all the wire contacts, make sure that the ignitors are actually aligned correctly, see if you are getting sparks, that kind of thing.

Looks like I left out a couple of steps. Open the door on the left and look up near the top "hinge". There's a little slot and you should see a wire. Stick a screwdriver or something similar in and press that wire down. That will lower the pin and allow you to remove the door. Do the same for the door on the right. Next, there's a bottom cover on the control panel that needs to be removed. There is one screw on the left and one screw on the right. Remove the panel and then you can get to the two screws holding the control panel in place.

Back