Those that had to drill out the bolt between firebox and frame

Seth G

TVWBB Member
What did you replace it with? I read only that its a 5/16th by 2" bolt. I just ran to ace to pick up a stainless steel replacement. But, it doesnt seem that the firebox has any threading. Should i have a stainless steel bolt on the inside?

What hardware is used to attach the firebox to the frame? Washers? Bolts? Nuts?

So i'm an idiot. Even though the firebox wasn't threaded...the frame seems to be. So, i turned the carriage bolt around and so the head is on the inside and will put a washer and bolt on the outside.

Ahhh, yah, I was going to suggest seeing if the threads were in the frame. I had to drill out the bolt on a Spirit a few weeks ago.

Neither the Frame nor the Firebox should be threaded-at least on the three Weber I have owned. The bolt passes through the frame and into the firebox and is secured with a nut.

Jeff

Yep nothing is threaded. I used a carriage bolt (stainless) and a stainless nut on the inside. Works like a champ. It's been in there now for about 6 years or so. Everything came apart easily when I took the grill apart recently. Use a little NeverSieze where the bolt comes through the aluminum fire box and also on the screw threads with the nut. The original one on my grill (a 1990 Genesis II now III) had a wing nut on it that had since disintegrated.

Yep nothing is threaded. I used a carriage bolt (stainless) and a stainless nut on the inside. Works like a champ. It's been in there now for about 6 years or so. Everything came apart easily when I took the grill apart recently. Use a little NeverSieze where the bolt comes through the aluminum fire box and also on the screw threads with the nut. The original one on my grill (a 1990 Genesis II now III) had a wing nut on it that had since disintegrated.

Maybe thats what it was. The inside bolt looked extremely rounded off....but it might have been just a wingnut that lost its wings.

Back