Used Genesis Opinions

DMacMichigan

I'm thinking of buying a used Genesis for $350, not sure what model or year it is, with the looks of it I'm thinking the 2007-2010 generation. I thought all Webers had the flat bar style of grates in either SS or cast iron but this one has the round thin rod bar grates you will usually find on cheap grills but in stainless. It seems to be in good shape and I love the copper color.

Has anyone used these type of grates on your Weber, any good?
Best guess on the model and year?
Is this grill worth $350?

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hsh/6150959928.html

That looks to be a 07-10 model, great grill but that seems a bit steep on the price... However it is highly dependent on your market. The OEM stainless grates on the Genesis are the thinner (1/4") rod style, but, since it looks like the normal Genesis and not the EP model it is possible that they are something different as the owner must have swapped them

No way I'd pay that for it. As far as skinny wire grates. Me? I hate them. Stuff sticks badly especially burgers and fish, stuff falls through like veg, thinner cuts of meats, shrimp, etc. I'd keep looking. Also if your budget supports that kind of $$$ look for other premium brands that may pop up as bargains. I recently had to pass on gorgeous Jade 42" all stainless unit (mind you every sq inch of this was 304SS) only because I could not figure out how to get the grill head off the cart. Price? $150! This was easily a $6000 grill! Also recently passed on a very nice DCS 30" grill simply because I could not work out logistics with the owner again price? $200! Bargains are out there. I also missed on another Wolf 36" like my own in MINT condition for only $150! again because I did not pull the trigger fast enough.

No way I'd pay that for it. As far as skinny wire grates. Me? I hate them. Stuff sticks badly especially burgers and fish, stuff falls through like veg, thinner cuts of meats, shrimp, etc. I'd keep looking. Also if your budget supports that kind of $$$ look for other premium brands that may pop up as bargains. I recently had to pass on gorgeous Jade 42" all stainless unit (mind you every sq inch of this was 304SS) only because I could not figure out how to get the grill head off the cart. Price? $150! This was easily a $6000 grill! Also recently passed on a very nice DCS 30" grill simply because I could not work out logistics with the owner again price? $200! Bargains are out there. I also missed on another Wolf 36" like my own in MINT condition for only $150! again because I did not pull the trigger fast enough.

You got me a little curious just did a search here on gas grills not just Weber https://memphis.craigslist.org/app/6166957380.html

and this one https://shoals.craigslist.org/for/6169118261.html

Last edited:
That is a junk sold by Lowes or Home Depot (maybe Sam's Club). Anyway they're a whole lotta nothing. Sorry I don't see anything around my area interesting at the moment to use as an example. But I just search on "gas grill". The reason being sometimes people don't list a Weber as a Weber, or even list a brand at all. Or you miss outstanding ones like a Jade, a Wolf, a Viking, etc. If you're unsure (as it seems you may be a little inexperienced) post what you find here. I am sure we can give you a good run down of what it is

Very true, I got my 53" Viking for free, there are a couple Vikings and lynx for 300 or less I see nearby as well. The only thing I would suggest is make sure that anything high end is complete and functional before buying. I think it was like 50 bucks a knob for my Viking lol

Back