Summit S-440 (new - needle in haystack ??)

Jeff Gwaltney

Over weekend bought a new-i -box (never used or even registered) Summit S-440 nat gasser for $550 - all there including heavy 9mm as grates, burners, flavos, and full rotisserie etc - appears the build date Jan 2007 but since never registered I have now registered for full warranty as new since still in box

It will replace or supplement our 25+ year old cast Broil King 2 burner nat gas that we've continued to replace w simple HD etc universal burners and cast iron grates. Have 2 gas pipe connects at different ends of deck/patio. Hopefully $550 good deal for new on box S-440 - only thing it doesn't have is sear burner - but think it will get plenty hot to sear - after looking at new Genny build quality and trying to be less than $1k, seemed like a needle in a haystack and better than anything I could touch for $500 - may still look for old Genny to restore but this never touched Summit should last long time.

Putting together soon; any thoughts on best first few grills for say 1) steaks 2) fish (salmon) 3) pizza 4) rotisserie? 5) wild card (e.g. desserts?

Thanks in advance for thought and feedback

Nashville

Thx D - once it's set up, what would be your first 5 food menus to grill?

Jeff, I'm an unapologetic CroMagnon type of carnivore, so all 5 would be STEAK. Normally, I'd say to go with what is on sale at the moment. But, this is a special occasion. I'm thinking a one and a half inch (or thicker) Porterhouse Steak. Could be just for you, or shared. I guess you could throw on some type of crustacean as well if you swing that way, whether it's a lobster, crab legs, prawns or big tiger shrimp.

Porterhouse.gif

What is an S440? I know there is a 420, and 470 and I think a more recent 450. Never heard of a 440

S-440 and S-460 are the "built in" (i.e. no side shelves but still on caster wheels) versions of the 450 and now 470 - is exactly like the S-450 except no side burner and no sear burner - all else (e.g. rotisserie, smoker box etc) the same

Back