Just Ordered

G

Soooo i just ordered a new 3 probe stoker from Rock for my 18 WSM. I've heard nothing but great things about this product. I'm a software programmer so i love gadgets like these. Does anyone have any NOOB suggestions on getting started? Maybe some do and dont's that you ran into starting out with the stoker?

I've had a Stoker since they first came out, and I still get lost trying to navigate through the menus to set temperatures, associate the blower with the correct probe, etc. So I'd suggest getting very familiar with the user interface before your first cook. Also, while the probe wires are made to withstand typical bbq cooking temperatures, if you leave the lid off the WSM for too long (like while foiling ribs) you can definitely damage the wires - this is the voice of sad experience speaking.
icon_frown.gif
Finally, be prepared to shield the controller and the blower from rain; don't be running around during a 2:30 a.m. thunderstorm thinking "what do I do now?" (Again, the voice of experience.) There are many good suggestions on this board for weatherproofing the controller and the blower. Pick your favorite.
icon_smile.gif

Oh, and last but not least, download Stokerlog and try it out. I think you'll like it, especially if you are a gadget freak like the rest of us.

Back