Raspberry Pi Wifi Thermometer

Trail B.

TVWBB Member
I assume someone on here has built a wifi thermometer using the raspberry pi. I have tried to find the build by searching the forum but have been unsuccessful. Can someone point me to a thread showing how to build one. I am wanting a wireless thermometer with multiple probes. Ideally I would like to be able to access it from any location, even when I am away from home.

I don't want a fan or stoker or any way to adjust the temps. I only want to be able to monitor it.

I am also a newbie to this and have never built, coded, or soldered, so go easy on me. Any help is appreciated.

Also, any idea on a cost for a build such as this?

Last edited:
The cost will vary greatly depending on the parts and process you take to build it. You haven't really explained where you want to use it, how many probes you need, how long the probes should be. If the probes will be monitoring indoor air, outdoor air, an oven, a freezer, a water tank, etc...

Your solution could be as simple as a couple of Pi Zero Wireless units with a Pimoroni Enviro pHAT attached to each one...

It might also make sense to use a heatermeter and simply use it for monitoring. It's already got a web interface, graphs, alerting, etc. So it would probably tick off most of the boxes in your list of wants and even nice-to-haves.

You can even head on over to the Community 3D Printer / Assembly / Trading Resources thread and have someone build one for you.

I'd also suggest checking out https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Ideally I would like to use it to monitor the ambient temperature of up to two grills and four different meats. It will solely be used for smoking meat. I also would like the other features you mentioned such as web interface, graphs, and alerting.

I will check out the links above as well.

Thanks again.

For what you want to do, I think you'll have trouble finding something better suited than the HeaterMeter. You've stated you want to monitor 2 x ambient temp and 4 x meat temps. That's a total of 6 probes, and the HM is only setup for 4. I don't think I've seen a commercial or DIY unit that offers more than 4. This means you would require 2 HeaterMeters or adapt to only using 4 probes at any given time.

The Heatermeater is a solid unit but if you are in dire need of more than four probes, there is a build called the WLAN Thermo done by a great group of Germans (and others). As long as you can get past the language barrier which they are more than willing to help. It's got 8 probes, 2 thermocouples, smartphone support and a slick touchscreen setup. I built one and it has worked flawlessly. Link is below. Good luck.

I used the Google translate tool, very helpful.

https://www.grillsportverein.de/forum/threads/wlan-thermometer-mini.250253/

going to go check that site out. It would be interesting to see an all RPi design. I've been doing a bunch of searching on the interwebs and have found various parts that could be used to with the RPi to read temp probes and control fans/servos. Exciting stuff.

going to go check that site out. It would be interesting to see an all RPi design. I've been doing a bunch of searching on the interwebs and have found various parts that could be used to with the RPi to read temp probes and control fans/servos. Exciting stuff.

This unit is no more an "all rpi" design than the heatermeter is. It's got a daughterboard that has an 8 channel ADC and a bunch of other things that you then marry to the rpi. Also, the advantage of the HM is that you can run it without the pi if needed.

Back