Help with HM damper settings.

Andrew F

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a WSM 22, and a damper on my HM now, and need some help with the settings on it.

I would like it to run damper only to 50% open, then kick in the fan if needed.
Would my settings be:
Fan out put: pulse ON above 50% min 0 max 30 ( to limit my fan out put to 30% of max) Startup max 100
Servo fully open at 100

Is this a good way to run, or should I try something else.

Will I need to adjust my P,I and D at all too? Currently I am 6,0.02,and 7.

Might want to mention that it's a 15 CFM Fan. I wouldn't run it over about 30% to start. Those settings would be a good place to start, but remember you're connected to a BBQ Guru adapter with a smaller opening. Give it a go and see how it does. Keep us informed.

OH, and send us a picture of your setup.

Can you send a picture of your WSM and how the blower is attached?

What damper are you using?

WBegg mentioned you have a 15CFM blower, is that correct?

Are your bottom dampers closed all the way?

What about your top damper? (WSM's like to have it open all the way)

Going from experience with my WSM22, I would say your P=6 is somewhere in the ballpark, but your I and D are out of whack.

It is hard to tell without looking at a live session with your PID window open (logged in on the graph screen, press "P"). If you have the fuel, I would do a dry run and try and tune it in when you have 6+ hours to make small changes (to ONE parameter at a time) and wait the 10 - 20 minutes for them to mean anything.

Last edited:
Just lit the fire. You can see the adapta-damper attached via the BBQ Guru adapter

Figured I better turn it over as there is some rain in the area

All closed up ready to heat up

Bottom vents are all closed. Top vent it 100% open
15 CFM blower

Here is a link to the live cook:
http://107.203.9.122/

So, it looks like HM wasn't engaged until your WSM was already at 255. This means that your fire was likely too hot to start.

Also, if I am judging the location of your thermocouple, the tip is just an inch or two off of the side wall which is a very turbulent place.

Try moving your probe onto a grill and see if things calm down.

What settings are you running with currently? I think your I term is too high.

Last edited:
Here are my settings for today

And here is the cook so far.

The probe is about 6" long so it is there pretty good. I'll move it to the top rack.

I also took out the I and D ( set them to zero.)

Last edited:

Back