Settings When Adding Food

Bob C

TVWBB Member
I have been working on getting my HeaterMeter settings dialed in and have a question.

When I am smoking on my large big green egg, I get the egg to the target temperature and then add the meat. If I add a lot of cold meat like a couple of pork butts, the temperature will drop and stay there for a while. Since the temp on the egg is dialed in, I don't touch any of my vents because I know they are correct and the temperature will recover without lighting more charcoal.

When the temp drops after adding food, I don't want the HeaterMeter to turn on the fan and start more charcoal. How can I have the Heatermeter "pause" till the temp recovers? Should I manually put it to 0% or 5% till it recovers?

How can I have the Heatermeter "pause" till the temp recovers?

Everytime you open the pit it should go into open pit mode. You can input how long you want that mode to stay on in the config under "Lid Open Detection"

Everytime you open the pit it should go into open pit mode. You can input how long you want that mode to stay on in the config under "Lid Open Detection"

So I guess right before I put the meat on I could set the lid open to 10 or 15 min then set it back once it gets back up to temp.

Thanks

You shouldn't have that set for anything over a couple minutes. If you set it to 10-15 minutes then you'll be really close to killing your fire, which you don't want - the longer your pit sits near zero the more stagnate air (and thus creosote build up) you have.

Back