Another Votrex Question

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
So after getting a lot of good advice from some of the members here that have a Voortex I ordered the medium. The question I have is concerning vent positions. From what I've read most people have the vents wide open for doing wings. What about doing chicken parts like thighs, drummies, and breasts? How wide do you have your vents open?

Wide open when you are using it to generate high heat with smaller opening upward. I have also used it with the large opening upward to slow cook a PSB using the snake method around the outside of the Vortex. For this I regulated the vents to keep the temperature low.
It really depends on how much heat you want to generate.

Like this.

Leave all the. Nets wide open. Get as much air through your grill as you can. I can promise you will ove your vortex! I filled mine with charcoal Sunday evening to cook wings, and when I was finished I closed all the vents and walked away. Yesterday my wife marinated some NY strip steaks. I just relit the coals in the vortex and grilled some great steaks using the vortex!
Tim

Wide open! Get a glove the lid get extremely hot. I also use one of my older grates since it does fatigue the center of the grate. You use the gourmet grate with nothing in the center but I think you lose some cooking area so I just dedicate a grate just for vortex. I also use a kettle without a temp gauge since it will peg the gauge and could damage the gauge seal.

Back