Questions for discada owners

I've been thinking on getting a discada to use on my Performer and had two questions for anyone who uses one:

1. I've never seen one in real life so I don't know how severely concave they are. Are they flat enough that you can also griddle burgers and steaks as on a flat top? Or is the slope such that everything would slide to the middle?

2. I am a heavy user and tinkerer of the Kettle Pizza and my search for a perfect "roof" for the oven continues. If I placed the discada upside down on top of the Kettle Pizza would I do it any great harm by exposing it to the pizza oven temps I try to achieve, which is around 800*?

P!ease and thank you for any advice.

By discada are you talking about a plow disc or disco? If so they are pretty thick and I would imagine can take a lot of heat but not sure about 800* heat. They are concaved enough that thing can be deep fry things. You can still do burgers and steaks on them though. I have never tried using mine on a grill only used it on a propane burner

Hi,

I have had one for about a year, and have used it for both burgers and steaks. The bottom gets HOT and cooks very quickly.

Not sure how it would work on top of a Kettle Pizza, I haven't tried it. I also have a Kettle Pizza, and I use another cooking grate with a pizza stone on top and it does a great job.

I love my discada.

Good luck

2. I am a heavy user and tinkerer of the Kettle Pizza and my search for a perfect "roof" for the oven continues. If I placed the discada upside down on top of the Kettle Pizza would I do it any great harm by exposing it to the pizza oven temps I try to achieve, which is around 800*? P!ease and thank you for any advice.

I've gone both ways with my disk, right side up and upside down.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?60239-Pizza-on-Father-s-Day
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59340-Pizza

I've had good results both ways. The cast iron really holds the heat, too much maybe. I use my SS Comal, and I really like that. Much more control. 800 degrees is pretty hot, I prefer 700ish

I agree that while you can cook burgers and steaks on it, it's really not all that flat. I guess one good way to look at it is the grease will drain away from the burgers. As for a dome for pizza, i dont see why not however you may lose that seasoning that you worked hard to buildup due to the prolonged high heat. Other wise no damage will occur. When i cut up a drum for some grill accessories, i used the bottom out of it as a roof in my homemade pizza oven accessory for the grill. Works pretty good.

Back