Bacon Cup filled with Pulled Pork

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
I have seen really nothing is forms of this, which is surprising.. I have seen people wrap the bottom of a cup cake tin and add other ingredients but nothing with just pulled pork.. I am trying to get out of the box for a Open in Sept... Any ideas?

the only suggestion I have is try cooking the bacon first so it's noticeably crispier & slightly darker.

One thought would be to use two muffin / cupcake tins - wrap the bacon around the bottom cups of one tin, & sandwich them between the other cups in the other tins & cook for a while. Once the bacon was cooked, cram the shaped bacon cups inside the muffin tins.

I'd even overcook the bacon just a little - don't burn it or anything, but definitely crisp it up.

I've never tried this in case that's not clear :)

You can try it with sandwiching as Clint stated above, or the way I was thinking was to do it similar to making pie bottoms. You can prep them in a single cupcake tin, then place pie weights (or dried beans) while you cook it to keep its shape. Then you would move forward with your process of the pulled pork. Keep us updated

The pulled pork on its own might be too juicy for a bacon cup. You could have a problem with leaking and "splooge" when a bite is take from it.

Now a mini-muffin cup bite sized "shooter" bacon cup with a touch of 'slaw on the top of it......

Not so sure about the dried bean technique, the beans will just soak up rendered fat and be a mess. The double tin concept is good but, the shooter size is really piquing my interest, two bites. A full sized one would get to your elbow before you took the third bite.

The BBQ Pit Boys just posted a video on this - I've watched a bunch of their videos, this one they were passing around what looked like a bottle of Jack :)

Call your cardiologist, or at least your dietician before serving these! Per cup, empty, that looks like about 4 or 5 slices of thick bacon (depending on their size) per bacon cup before filling. :)

To fill the crisp cups and to avoid a puddle of juices, the bacon cups are not going to be leakproof anyway, so I would set them on a rack over a sheet pan and fill them with the hot pulled pork so that the juices could drain a bit before putting them on a serving plate. Maybe line the serving platter with shredded lettuce or something that would absorb or hide the juices. Your perfectly-cooked pulled pork should still remain moist. You could always pass the juices with any finishing sauces on the side for anyone who would like them. Or mix the juices with a little BBQ sauce.

This might not be in the spirit of the original recipe but might be more convenient to work into a whole menu since the cups could be prepped ahead. A spoonful of coleslaw on top would make a nice color, flavor, temperature, and texture contrast, as would the eggs mentioned in the video.

Last edited:
It took seeing the video for me to see the potential here. Might try a cup with the bottom layer very finely diced corned beef hash, then filled with chili.
Looks great, just don't go overboard with bacon.

I agree Bob, the "seven slice cup" seems like a fair thickness to get rendered out before filling, I like my bacon in its "non floppy" state. The corned beef hash bottom layer sounds like one fine lunch topped with an egg!
Regular size muffin tin should be covered in three slices with one "wrapped" to maintain some structure, 1/4 cup of hash, and egg and topped with croutons?
No wonder I'm gaining back weight, I spend too much time here!

Back