Southwestern Style Chicken, Pork or Beef and Biscuits

Barb D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Southwestern- Style Chicken and Biscuits

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed (can use either of these also pork, beef )
Salt & Pepper
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Celery ribs, chopped fine
1 Onion, chopped fine
1 Tsp. minced fresh thyme or ¼ tsp. dried
1 ½ Cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼ inch pieces
1 Cup frozen corn thawed or can corn (I used Trader Joes can corn)
3 Ounces sharp cheddar cheese, Shredded ¾ cup
3 Scallions, sliced thin
1 ½ Tsp. baking powder
1/8 Tsp. cayenne pepper
¾ Cup heavy cream

This recipe done in the oven but I did mine on our gasser for the pork dish. I did my first one which was chicken in the oven. Outstanding either way.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil and heat until shimmering. Brown chicken, about 4 minutes per side, transfer to plate.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in now empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add celery and onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in 3 Tbsp. flour and cook for 1 minutes. Slowly whisk in 2 ¾ cups broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps, and bring to simmer.
Nestle chicken into skillet along with any accumulated juices. Reduce heat to gentle simmer, cover and cook until chicken registers 165 degrees, 10 to 12 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking.
Transfer chicken to carving board, let cool slightly, then pull or cut into medium chucks. Stir shredded or chunks of chicken, bell pepper, and corn into skillet.
Whisk remaining 1 ½ cups flour, cheddar, scallions, baking powder, ¾ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. pepper, and cayenne together in large bowl. Stir in cream and remaining ¼ cup broth until just combined. Using greased ¼ dry measuring cup, scoop out and drop 9 mounds of dough onto chicken mixture, spaced about ½ inch apart. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Now I did both chicken and port, we thought the pork had a little better flavor. I know this is written for chicken I did everything like it said but used pork. The pork I used were a couple of thin pork chops that I had and just cut them up. We will be trying this again but with beef. All I can say is it’s a great recipe and will be doing it a lot more times.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Barbara Dahl

Back