Q200 cooking grate question

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
I picked up an old Weber Q-200 off of CL for those quick, beat-the-rain cooks. But each time I want to use it, I spend more time scraping the rust off of the cooking grate than cooking on the darn thing. I can have my Performer up and running faster than I can prep the Q-200.
After every cook on the Q, I brush the grate, then either spray it with canola oil, or wipe it with Crisco, then heat on high for 5 to 10 minutes. But the next time I want to use it, the cooking grate is rusty as all get-out again.
Is the grate different material on the early model Qs?
Do I need to spring for a new enameled cast-iron grate or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for your insight.

G'day
After using the grill scape any food stuffs away cold leave any oil and oil if it's dry.
Don't burn off your rust protection.
When you go to use the grill flash it up for 10 mins. Then use a wire brush to clean the bars up and it's ready to go. Any food stuffs and oils are carbon. The triangle Weber wire brush is the best.
You'll need to remove the grill plate from time to time to clean out the carbon from the grill body.
I use my Q200 most days and 10 mins from start up to clean and hot.
Regards dave

I use a Libman brass grill brush on my Q and it works great.

I am on my 3rd grate in the 5 years I've had it. The last grate is from the Q-3200 and the enamel is MUCH better. It's held up nicely for 2 seasons. The pile of junk I bought on Amazon lasted a few months.

I just use a stainless painters brush. the wires don't break off easily and it does not leave brass on the grates. but for sure, after cooking, do not clean. I also give the grate a good spray of pam. when ready to use I het it up, use the brush and then spray pam or use oil on a paper towel and yer good to go. don't be afraid to experiment till you find what works for you.

Brass brushes may contain lead

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Lead, however, is commonly added. I tested several bbq brushes a few years ago and was dismayed to find lead in them.

Back