Just got my new Genesis E310.....

Phil E

And was wondering, it almost seemed natural to put foil over the "drip pan" for lack of a better term. Not sure what the correct term is but I mean the large pan that funnels the waste to the throw away foil pan. Am I making any sense? lol

Phil,

I'd be really careful with using foil to line the drip pan. If you're grilling something fatty, the grease could potentially hang up in the creases of the foil. Having a build up of grease in the drip pan is not a good idea.

You could have a real messy grease fire. At best, you're meal is ruined. At worst, you might have a serious fire.

If you do line the drip tray, make sure you take your time to line it without bumps and creases.

Hi Phil-

I'm new to the WSM but a seasoned veteran on the E320. I'd second what F Tang mentioned. I cooked a Turkey on the E320 once and didn't clean out the unlined drip pan (which was full of Turkey grease). My next use was to sear some steaks and while the grill was heating up, I had a huge grease fire on the drip pan. The Weber is so well designed, I shut off the gas and closed the lid and the fire extinguished itself shortly. It has only happened to me once, but I'm very aware of it now and clean the drip pan if I have things gunked up on it.

If you are an OCD neat freak and plan to replace the foil every use, I would guess you would be fine. Otherwise, I'd leave the foil off and watch for any buildup on the drip pan that doesn't make it to the foil pan.

Thanks guys. I did line the drip pan...my first cook with the E310. Just a Tri and some corn. I'll make sure to keep the pan clean no matter what.

Having bought a new performer and a 22 WSM, I'm trying to unload my E-310. Never liked the flavor of meat cooked on the thing. Seems i couldn't get a good char without burning something and steaks never came out that well. Maybe because my wife keeps cleaning the grates... Does great grilled veggies though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil E:
And was wondering, it almost seemed natural to put foil over the "drip pan" for lack of a better term. Not sure what the correct term is but I mean the large pan that funnels the waste to the throw away foil pan. Am I making any sense? lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It just makes it easier to understand with no confusion if you refer to the "drip tray" which drains into the "drip pan". I don't line mine because I find it easier to just scrape any deposit on the tray into the pan and empty or discard that. Rich

Back