Router connection issue - initial setup

John Pie

Just finished putting together the HM kit last night. Going well so far from what I can see. Getting weird pit temps right now, but I didn't solder in all the resistors yet as I'm planning on doing a Rotodamper setup and left the two resistors on the TC off for now so makes sense that I would be getting weird temps. The three Maverick type jacks seem to register fine when plugging in my Maverick probes.

My main problem right now is getting the HM connected to connect to wifi. I can connect to HM using direct connect Wifi, but can't see HM or get root access when plugging in ethernet to rPi. Once direct connected to HM wifi I can scan for wifi networks and see my home wifi. I can put in credentials and save configuration but then when I go under Network<Interfaces and try to connect using that network it say's "unsupported protocol type." and has a link to "Install Protocol extensions..." I click this and install whatever protocol extension it's telling me to, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas on what could be going on here? I'm using a Medialink router, which has been working fine.

Thanks! John

I'll admit, the wifi configuration is a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes. OpenWrt can get in a halfway between state and really make things confusing.

Did you also switch the WWAN interface to DHCP client? Is this using the v12 release or the new snapshot? If you're on the snapshot, I'd recommend trying the new text file configuration which will handle everything automatically if you just enter the network name and password.

I'll admit, the wifi configuration is a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes. OpenWrt can get in a halfway between state and really make things confusing.

Did you also switch the WWAN interface to DHCP client? Is this using the v12 release or the new snapshot? If you're on the snapshot, I'd recommend trying the new text file configuration which will handle everything automatically if you just enter the network name and password.

Thanks for the tip. I flashed with snapshot release and updated the config file as follows below. I took out the # before the wifi_ssid variable and the wifi_password variable and I even tried manually setting the mode to "sta" and still nothing. I can still see the heatermeter SSID being broadcast, so still must not be connecting to router. What would the next step be?

##
## wifi configuration
##
# SSID (network name)
wifi_ssid=Ollie's World
# Password for encryption
wifi_password="my password"
# Encryption mode psk2 (WPA2-PSK default), psk, wep, none
#wifi_encryption=psk2
# Mode ap (Access Point) or sta (Client mode, default). Must be lowercase!
wifi_mode=sta
# wifi channel, only used in AP mode
#wifi_channel=6

Try double quotes around Ollie's World. The space and the apostrophe in the ssid could be throwing things for a loop. Unless your password has spaces or special characters, I'd remove the double quotes from the wifi_password entry.

wifi_ssid="Ollie's World"

The quotes are fine, what isn't is the apostrophe in the SSID. The command chain gets it all messed up so what it ends up trying to connect to is "s World". The OpenWrt tools don't support escaping the name either so I don't think this is possible.

EDIT: Yup, if I set my SSID to "Bry's World" I get the same "Unsupported protocol type.". I'm afraid you're going to have to change your wireless network name to not have an apostrophe unless you can find a workaround.

For my own reference: the SSID is set to 'Bry'\''s Net' in the config file.

Last edited:
The quotes are fine, what isn't is the apostrophe in the SSID. The command chain gets it all messed up so what it ends up trying to connect to is "s World". The OpenWrt tools don't support escaping the name either so I don't think this is possible.

EDIT: Yup, if I set my SSID to "Bry's World" I get the same "Unsupported protocol type.". I'm afraid you're going to have to change your wireless network name to not have an apostrophe unless you can find a workaround.

For my own reference: the SSID is set to 'Bry'\''s Net' in the config file.

Eureka! Thanks for the tip. Changed my SSID and that did the trick. Router assigned IP address and I'm able to get root access through my network now. Now onto next problem. Like I mentioned before I have installed resistors yet for TC since I'm hoping to do a damper setup with the RDTC and was told not to put those on right now, but I wanted to get a jumpstart on the build. So right now my pit temp is giving me wild temp fluctuations, which I'm thinking makes sense because I don't have the resistors on. But I'm now getting incorrect temps with Maverick probes in all 3 jacks. Temperatures are around 0 degrees right now. I don't get why because when I was doing my initial bootups they were registering 68 degrees, which was right around room temp. I should mention that I noticed it was registering the correct temp prior to reflashing with the newest snapshot, so I don't think that's it either. Could I have fried something? My soldering was not the best as this was my first time.

Back