Weber Summit S-450 igniter system

Mark Rusty

After 6 years all the igniters failed and decided to replace rather than keep lighting them manually. I found out Weber changed the design and now instead of replacing just the igniters you have to change the whole manifold! The good news is that I always wanted the sear burner and ended up converting my S-450 to a S-470. I can now get temps above 700 degrees. Has anyone else figured out a way to change the igniters without changing the whole manifold assembly? Reason I am asking is because I have another Summit at my other property. Thanks!

Interesting - what parts did you have to replace to switch it over to a S470?
I have a 450 and am thinking about doing the same...

Actually it was very easy if you are handy. Requires a small hole drilled through the control panel for the valve stem (Knob) and a bigger hole through the firebox and heat shield to fit the burner tube (grinder). You can either order the manifold for the S-470 from online vendor or order the manifold for the S-450 which you can use an old valve and drill a small hole in the new one. Also the new manifold comes with all brand new knobs. You can use an old burner tube or order a new sear burner ($24). I also used high heat paint for the hole I made in the burner box to prevent premature rusting. My grill will easily go over 700 degrees now. Now I just need the rotisserie fold-away :)

No I didn't take any pictures during the process but it was very easy. Hardest part was cutting the firebox because all I had was a grinder which instead of a round hole I have a square hole. It works :)

Back