911!! 2 13Lb spatchcocked turkey's on a 22.5" please help he estimate cook time.

John_Goebel

Very much a last minute deal, cooking for my brothers girlfriends family. Sadly her mother is really ill and this may well be her last holiday. Feeling quite a bit of pressure to deliver a nice spread to feed 14 or 15 people. They have all had my Q before and loved it BUT I have NEVER smoked a turkey before.

Food will be picked up and driven to their family home, about a 30 minute drive. I plan on cooking and carving the birds then into foil pans with hot broth/butter combo to keep temp as best as possible. Then into big igloo coolers for transport.

My main concern is cook time? Both bird's are 13.1 Lbs before prep. I plan on spatchcocking both birds no injection as they are butterball fresh birds pre brined, just butter and light rub over and under the skin. One on top grate and the other on the bottom, I figure I'll need to rotate top and bottom at least once? Gonna' be chilly in the morning 28 degrees or so wind should be manageable.

All food needs to be packed up and ready to leave my place at 1:30pm est. I am going to try for 350 at the top grate using blue bag and apple wood chunks full ring and scatter the lit coals. Full water pan also.

I do have a very nice true convection oven as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy holidays,
John Goebel

If you want to try for 350 than skip the full water pan and run empty with a foiled pan.
On my 18.5" WSM one flat turk on the top rack usually takes about 2-2 1/2 hrs running wide open.
I think Bill is right on with the timing on duel birds on the big boy WSM.

Tim

Back