New HM build 4.2.4

FMacri

Hello,

built up my heatermeter last night.

when i power it up with ONLY the ac adapter (or micro usb) plugged in, its registering the pit probe @ 19F when there isn't a TC or thermistors plugged in. i purchased the board with the tc components pre-soldered from the heatermeter store.

anyone have any suggestions on what to check?

thanks

Go into the HM Config and change your Probe 0 Type from INTERNAL to THERMOCOUPLE.

Thanks! that did the trick!

as soon as my probes and servo come in i will be testing out the rest of it, and post up some pictures when i finish the project.

also, in the wiki there is an optional step to add a thermistor for ambient temperature. if i did this, will i be giving up one of my thermistor ports? if not where does the thermistor get soldered to the board?

thanks

Thanks! that did the trick!

as soon as my probes and servo come in i will be testing out the rest of it, and post up some pictures when i finish the project.

also, in the wiki there is an optional step to add a thermistor for ambient temperature. if i did this, will i be giving up one of my thermistor ports? if not where does the thermistor get soldered to the board?

thanks

Yes, you would lose one of your food probe ports. However, if you had an extra probe, you could just plug that in for the ambient temp. That would give you more flexibility.

No, you do not lose a food probe port if you install the ambient temp thermistor properly. You wire it on the last probe jack (typically) from the gnd leg (closest to the edge of the board) and the switched leg (the leg in the middle). The internal switch will connect the thermistor by default (it's normally closed) but if you plug a probe into the jack that switch opens, disconnecting the thermistor and connecting the the probe instead. You will of coarse have to change the probe type from Vishay to whatever probe you are using...

No, you do not lose a food probe port if you install the ambient temp thermistor properly. You wire it on the last probe jack (typically) from the gnd leg (closest to the edge of the board) and the switched leg (the leg in the middle). The internal switch will connect the thermistor by default (it's normally closed) but if you plug a probe into the jack that switch opens, disconnecting the thermistor and connecting the the probe instead. You will of coarse have to change the probe type from Vishay to whatever probe you are using...

Was I thinking about the RDTC end of things?

I think his post is about the HM itself, or at least that is the way it reads to me. The RDTC can handle 3 probes total (due to limited number of wires in the CAT5 cable), so the last probe is always left out with the RDTC.

I think his post is about the HM itself, or at least that is the way it reads to me. The RDTC can handle 3 probes total (due to limited number of wires in the CAT5 cable), so the last probe is always left out with the RDTC.

You're 100% right. I was thinking through the same question I had when considering where I was going to place my HM. Like you, I will have the HM inside with the RDTC out at the grill. I just remember you telling me to plug in a probe instead of using up one of the RDTC ports as a dedicated ambient temp sensor. Sorry for confusing things.

I've always just used a probe whenever I wanted ambient temperature. With a 6ft cord, I can get it far enough away from the HeaterMeter and the BBQ to measure accurately. Using an internal thermistor won't be as accurate because the HM board itself (and Raspberry Pi) does generate a bit of heat.

Hello,

so today i fired the heater meter up since i got my tc in the mail.

with the tc connected

Pit: 75 F ^ 0%

with the TC Disconnected

Pit 0F ^ 0%

im not sure if i should worry about it. but before without anything connected i got a "no pit probe connected" (or something like that)..

is there something else that i am missing?

thanks

No worries, that's not a problem. Take the HM out of manual fan mode and it will go back to showing "No Pit Probe".
PS Did you get the RD3 files downloaded?

Back