Cleaning the firebox

Chris_Vagnozzi

TVWBB Member
I have power-washing as an option, but ideally I'd like to clean out my box via another means. Once I have my box completely empty and all chips/debris cleared, is there a good chemical I can spray to eat away at all of the remaining carbon/grease/etc?

I'd like to spray it with something heavy, let it sit for a day and scrape/wipe it down the following. Anyone done this recently and had good luck with a product?

Oven cleaner works well.

First, if it were me, I would disassemble and scrape as much out as I could prior to the oven cleaner. Then, I'd spray a whole can of oven cleaner in there, and cover it with a big black garbage bag. Then, I'd drink beer and wait until the next day. On that next day, I'd go in with the scraper again, then heavy steel wool, then rinse it out really good.

You can go as crazy as you want in there, it just depends on how clean you want it.

I'd scrape first, to remove as much heavy stuff as possible before the oven cleaner treatment, only because I would want the oven cleaner to be working on as little crud as possible.

That's what I'd do, good luck!

Slainte,

Tim

Oven cleaner works well.

First, if it were me, I would disassemble and scrape as much out as I could prior to the oven cleaner. Then, I'd spray a whole can of oven cleaner in there, and cover it with a big black garbage bag. Then, I'd drink beer and wait until the next day. On that next day, I'd go in with the scraper again, then heavy steel wool, then rinse it out really good.

You can go as crazy as you want in there, it just depends on how clean you want it.

I'd scrape first, to remove as much heavy stuff as possible before the oven cleaner treatment, only because I would want the oven cleaner to be working on as little crud as possible.

That's what I'd do, good luck!

Slainte,

Tim

Thanks Tim! My wife recommended oven cleaner too, but I wasn't sure if that would be too harsh. I think I'll do EXACTLY as you said ;) Time to scrape today and enjoy a Blue Moon!

Be careful to rinse and probably scrub the oven cleaner off after the overnight. If you don't you will start to see oxidation of the aluminum, which is easily cured by grilling a bunch of meat (begins the reseasoning process on the metal). Anyway, I'd rinse it thoroughly, and then scrub it with soap and wear gloves because oven cleaner is strong base (base is the opposite of acid; I have degrees in chemistry, so I'm not trying to talk down, I just know what it is and am trying to help). Base is bad for your skin. If you get some on your skin, and your skin feels slippery when it's wet, you will want to rinse your hands thoroughly, and even take a slice of lemon or orange (something with citric acid) and rub it on the slippery skin parts. The citric acid will neutralize the base, and then you will not damage your skin. Your skin should feel "draggy" when wet, not slippery.

OK enough with that.

Be sure to drink lots of beer while the oven cleaner is at work, and you cannot underestimate the positive effect cursing has while getting in there and cleaning that mother out!

Slainte!

Tim

Just wire brush it down and call it done. Oven cleaner is too harsh for the cast aluminum. Use a good powered air or electric unit and wire brush. There is no need nor is it good for the aluminum to do what you're describing

How does it hurt? The only caution using oven cleaner on aluminum is it could become discolored. It's not going to rot it away from a good cleaning. If that's a concern you could rinse thoroughly and then wet it down with some white vinegar to neutralize.

I am working on an older refurb, and can say without hesitation that I wouldn't even consider using this grill unless I can get all of the crud off...with prejudice!

It's not necessary. And the strong alkali will hurt the thin cast aluminum. I tried it once and will never again. It also did not remove al the carbon anyway. You're far better off using mechanical means. As for getting it down to bare aluminum or the necessity of it. What are you worried about...........................really?! Nothing in there will harm you and even if you did get it bare it would build up again quickly. Have you ever eaten at a restaurant? Ever looked in their grills? Franky it's silly to worry about it

I use one of these chucked in a drill. Works great and fast. not much more than a can of oven cleaner.
3M Large Area 4IN Paint and Rust Stripper Disc 03172
Item #15800 Brand: 3M

What are you worried about...........................really?! Nothing in there will harm you and even if you did get it bare it would build up again quickly. Have you ever eaten at a restaurant? Ever looked in their grills? Franky it's silly to worry about it

It has nothing to do with worry and everything to do with getting it clean and starting fresh. Not getting it completely clean would be doing it half-assed in my opinion. Call it being a perfectionist or anal, but there ya go. Some people may be ok with that, I'm not.

I used a vibrating sander on the outside of the box for the redhead that I fixed up for my son.
Since I didn't tear down, the inside just got heated really well and scraped.
I saw no need to go crazy trying to clean to bare metal something that will get gunked up again in short order.
But, like I said, this was more of a fix-up that a complete rebuild.

IMGP2318.JPG

That's a mighty fine looking grill!

I think you hit it on the head. In my case I have disassembled everything and am trying to get it close to new. if it is unsalvageable it will be replaced.

Back