Aaron Franklin's sauce

Alfred Y

TVWBB Member
Has anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8wK2GdGG_E

1/2 lb butter
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1 1/2 cups ketchup (not high fructose corn syrup)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 ounces light brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
A little less than 1 tsp garlic powder
A little less than 1 tsp chili powder
1/2 lemon squeezed

Melt butter and saute onions until soft and translucent.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve warm with barbecue.

I made a batch, and a few things occurred to me:

- That was way too much butter! If the butter was also used for other purposes during a cook besides to sautee just half an onion, then I didn't find any application with my batch of chicken I made. I skimmed as much butter fat off as I could until I considered the sauce good to use.
- It wasn't as "vinegary" as I am accustomed to.
- The lemon was a good substitute for more vinegar, but I would have preferred to just add more vinegar, as the lemon juice didn't do a whole lot for me. (I tasted it before and after). I almost felt like the lemon took away from the rest of the sauce.
- I love onion based sauces, but this was the least of my favorites but would have been an odd sauce without it.

Anyone care to share their experience? I wonder if my average-joe application and taste buds don't quite understand what's going on with the sauce and I'm just not acquainted with sauces to express myself.

There's more than one "Aaron Franklin's BBQ Sauce". Here's another:
REGULAR BARBECUE SAUCE

From: Franklin Barbecue, by Aaron Franklin and Jordan MacKay
Serves: 3 cups
INGREDIENTS
1¾ cups ketchup
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar
¼ cup plus 1½ teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1½ teaspoons coarse black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and warm gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally. There is no need to bring the mixture to a boil, as the idea is just to warm it enough to melt and integrate the ingredients. Once you have done that, remove from the heat and let cool. Transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
http://www.cookbooks365.com/barbecue-sauce/

I agree that a half pound of butter is an awful lot for a couple cups of sauce.

In practical terms, you only need about 2 tablespoons for sauteing half an onion. Unless the butter is an important component in the flavor, I'd cut it way back.

And that's probably the first time I've ever recommended using less butter ;)

I think if you consider the extra ketchup (12 gm sugar?), thats the difference. Can you taste that in 3C of sauce? I dunno, doubt that I could.

I'll definitely try with just 2 table spoons of butter in the future.

@Len
I could definitely taste the butter even after I skimmed as much off as I could and with all of the extra sugar. It was more of a strong after-taste of butter (which was awesome), but a little over the top.

.. and I used organic (non high-fructose aka real sugar) ketchup also!

Back