Montreal Smoked Meat?

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, I love making 'Q (and eating 'Q), and I'm originally from Montréal, so this begs the ultimate question: Has anybody ever been able to replicate or even come close to replicating true Montreal Smoked Meat? I'm talking real Schwartz' on the Main-good.

I've seen pastrami recipes here and elsewhere but as any connoisseur from La Belle Province will tell you, Pastrami is to Smoked Meat what White Owls are to Cohibas or Jack Daniels is to a well-aged Macallan!

I understand the process is very complex and the exact Schwartz' recipe is highly-guarded but I'm willing to experiment a little if I know it's possible to come close.

I've got a thread here with a couple recipes in it. The thread is 3 pages long now and documents my attempts and observations to date (and those of a couple others).

The 'brine cured pumped' recipe at the top is very good. If you try it you get to decide if you think it's close or in the ballpark
icon_smile.gif

Untrimmed brisket is better than trimmed for this. Pull it from the smoker around 150ºF internal. Take the amount you want to serve off whole, wrap tightly in foil then oven it at 275ºF for a couple of hours, until it feels tender. Repeat this process with the remainder when it's time to serve it.

Back