Reverse sear on new Genesis S-330 - need help

Grilled on my brand new Genesis last night for the first time. Had 1 inch thick pork chops. I got the grill up to 600 easily to begin with using all three burners on medium setting. Shut down the right and middle burner to do the reverse sear. Put chops up on the elevated rack and let them go for 15 minutes. Where I had trouble was getting the grill grates really hot for the sear. I did use the sear station as well. My question is this - am I being unrealistic to expect a really hot sear when searing with the top open as I've always read is the thing to do when searing in the rear? Should I change up and close the lid when searing? Should I abandon the reverse sear method for my Genesis altogether? Thanks in advance for any advice.

It should do it. The trick is use the grill at a warm temp. Say only 275 or so. Cook the meat until near done. Let it rest. While resting get the grill screaming hot. Than sear and eat. BTW I tried this on pork (did not work) well. Very disappointing results. On steak another story. Oh boy it IS the BEST! It is my new way to do a steak (one that is thick thin no thick yes).

Yes, you can absolutely do it. You had the first part down, top rack let it "bake" at a low temp. Take the meat off before you want to sear, then get the grill as hot as hot as needed with the lid closed. I usually don't do full temp on all three burners, but I will use the left burner with the sear station just to get that grate area nice and hot.

If they are only one inch thick, I usually skip the reverse sear and just sear them out right. Anything over an inch and I reverse sear on my S-330 with GrillGrates (upside down) and get great results. I use just the left burner with the meat on the right, and then when I am ready to sear, I turn on the sear burner too. Get's the upside down GrillGrates really hot and puts a nice char on the outside of the meat.

As THoey said, 1" isn't enough to warrant reverse sear.

I don't have a 330 but would be shocked if it could come up to sear temps with the lid open.......... Almost always remove the meat, foil tightly, closed lid with all burners on high, then sear. But at 1" thick you're probably better off searing at high heat with the initial low temp.

Back