Valves for Silver B conversion from NG to LP?

JeffGH

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Genesis Silver B NG for a decent price. The grill doesn't look like it's been used much, so I think it will be a great grill. My problem is that I need it to use LP, not NG. I've done a fair amount of research on the web and multiple searches here. The majority opinion (even from a vendor) is that if you swap out for an LP hose w/ regulator and change the orifices to LP, you are good to go. I was pretty excited that this would be a cheap conversion. Then I started to find posts buried in threads that stated that the NG and LP valves are not the same and while the grill will run on high with the LP regulator and orifices, the Med. and Low controls are simply non-existent.

So with that, I want this grill to perform, so I'm willing to replace the manifold so I have the right valves, orifices, and LP regulator. The problem is that I can't find one for the Silver B specifically. I know that there is no way that Weber will sell a conversion kit any longer (too dangerous - but they'll let you replace parts on your own grill...). I, however, found lots and lots of manifold assemblies for sale at ereplacementparts. What I need to know is what manifold from another model of grill will fit my Silver B? I see a manifold for the Silver C with an extra fitting for the burner - perhaps i could cap that off. I also see one for a Genesis Gold B. My other thought is to buy the least expensive LP manifold with three valves and move the valves to my manifold, although I'm not sure this would work.

Anyone with the knowledge I am seeking care to lend a hand? Thanks in advance!

Jeff H.

Any Genesis manifold from that era (single row flavorizer bars) will fit fine. I don't even think there is anything to "cap off" as IIRC it will be a quick disconnect. Also the only difference is the medium low will be just a little "hotter" in your case than normal. This can still be rectified by simply not using as many burners. It's not that big of a difference

Thanks for the info LMichaels! Good to know that any manifold from the era should fit. I think that I will most likely still do the valve swap as that low end control will be desired.

Jeff H.

OK, I finally stumbled upon the right manifold part number. There are 2 different Silver B manifolds. One with the thermometer on the right and one with the thermometer in the center. I need the one on the right. The P/N is 62182. The P/N for the centered thermometer is 60141. After digging a little on the forums, I noticed the grates by rcplanebuyer - holy smokes, these are the cat's meow! If these grates cook like they look, I'm going to be impressed. Even with 8 fewer flavorizer bars, I think this Silver B is going to put my SP-100 to shame once it's in action. I'll keep the NG stuff just to have that option.

Back