Brad W- a question about PBW!

Anne Garber

Just got a Weber Genesis E-310, and am researching cleaners so that I'm ready when the time comes for cleanup. I'm intrigued by this Professional Brewer's Wash you mentioned, and I found it, but haven't really found any instructions on using it or description of the product.

Is it in powder/granule form? Do you dissolve in water? Wipe on? Soak? Scrub?

Can you describe to me your cleaning regimen with PBW? Thanks in advance!

Personally I use it on my grates after I've cleaned kegs, using an overnight soak for about 24ish hours. ACE also carries Stainless Magic, which is the best stainless cleaners ACE carries (when I worked there the Magic is what we used to clean the stainless on the out side of the grills and work counters.)

With the PBW, click on the Tech Sheet at Five Star's website. My packaging says 2-4 oz of PBW (which is a powder) per gallon for overnight soaks. Using 150F-160F water to start with works best, let soak overnight. I always run a scrubby over the grill to get the big stuff off before soaking. Rinse well after cleaning.

An overnight soak for a porcelain coated cast iron grate (which I have) sounds like a bad idea due to the opportunity for rust to form. I presume you're using this soak with a SS grate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anne Garber:
An overnight soak for a porcelain coated cast iron grate (which I have) sounds like a bad idea due to the opportunity for rust to form. I presume you're using this soak with a SS grate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, for non-cast.

Cast is easy to clean though. Wipe off with a cloth, scrub off crusties with something dry, do a short soak in hot, non-soapy water if need be to finish cleaning, dry completely then wipe down with veg oil.

Back