Disposable Propane Canisters for old Performer Grills

DanCT

I have one of the old performer grills with the small 5lbs propane canister. I fill it maybe every couple of years... and it is a pain. Most of the filling stations give it a weird look and don't know what to do with it. They also try to charge me the flat filling price even though it is 1/4 the size. The last time I filled it up, the guy said the canister should expire by the next time I need to refill it. I cannot find a new one at a reasonable price. Can I modify the old Performer grill to work with the disposable canisters used with the new models?

There is certainly a way. There are many adapters out there to adapt one type of propane connection to another. Also, if you don't move your Performer around much, you could get a hose and attach it to a regular 20# tank. The gas assist lasts FOREVER that way.

I have one of the old performer grills with the small 5lbs propane canister. I fill it maybe every couple of years... and it is a pain. Most of the filling stations give it a weird look and don't know what to do with it. They also try to charge me the flat filling price even though it is 1/4 the size. The last time I filled it up, the guy said the canister should expire by the next time I need to refill it. I cannot find a new one at a reasonable price. Can I modify the old Performer grill to work with the disposable canisters used with the new models?

Dan, I just had two of my 5 lb. tanks recertified here in NC for $5 each. Not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. I'm good now for getting refills for a while.

If you buy a new 5 lb. tank, it will not fit your grill exactly like the original. The valve guard at the top is more round and does not have the flat spot where it hangs on the grill. I recently bought a one for a grill I refurbished and it hangs at a slight angle, and does not sit down into the bottom support as it should. Also the tank valve connection is the new type instead of the quick connect.

I can't really help with the disposable canister question though. Good luck.

You can buy an adapter to use 20lb tanks to fill smaller disposable ones. I have one but have never tried it. A buddy of mine swears by his ..

Mr Heater makes a fitting called a "Steak Saver", and Harbor Freight sells bulk refill adapters that will work on the Touch 'n Go Performers.

100_1839.jpg

100_1838.jpg

100_1840.jpg

I had my SS performer recertified and I think it is good for 5 more years. The cost of the recertifcation was minimal (done at Pacer in Redmond) no need to modify my Performer.

Back