Weber is slipping IMO

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So not wanting to cast aspersions here but was just at the Home Depot. They had some new Summits on the floor. So since I had never really looked at the I decided to have a peek "under the hood" so to speak. I was disappointed in what I found. Mainly the spacing of the grill bars. I could easily stick my finger between them. Meaning when more delicate foods (fish, shrimp and such) are there they will be very difficult to turn as they'll sag between the bars, fall through what have you. The spacing was easily twice the spacing on my Summit 450. If they simply added 2 maybe 3 more bars total it would make it so much better. At the prices I saw I don't think I would be a happy camper if I bought one.

And that leads me to a question that's been bugging me and that is....does HD get weber to make a flimsier model especially for them so that they can sell it at a low-ish price and still make money? They do it with windows doors water heaters...you name it. I don't know this for a fact , but I just wonder....

Curious….were the grates properly installed? The grates have a V shape to them from top to bottom, I often see the grates put in upside down so that the thinnest part of the grate is facing up not down.

The Summit's are the crown jewel. The gap doesn't seem too wide to me, and the bars seem thick

The Weber stuff you buy at HD is the same as anywhere else except for differences other than function i.e. colors, trim etc. If you compare the Summit of today to the Summit of late 90's to early 2000's the differences are pretty startling. On my Summit 450 the grate bars are 50% tighter and still as thick as what is seen today. And on my Wolf (arguably a whole different animal) no pun intended even tighter yet which of course makes handling delicate foods even more a pleasure. The smaller the "pitch" between bars the easier food handles.

I was at Ace the other night and I thought the same thing, that the grate bar spacing seemed to be a bit wider than it should be and it was a summit I was looking at.

Back