Smoked Mushroom Soup

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Over the summer we took our 5 yr old daughter to disney world for the first time. My wife's aunt and uncle were seasoned disney pros, so they came along to help us out. They knew the restaurant scene pretty well and turned us on to some decent places to dine. One of their favorites was artist's point and their favorite dish was the smoked mushroom soup. The staff their was nice enough to provide us with a copy of the recipe (and to point out a hidden mickey in one of the many large paintings that adorn the dining room).

My wife and I thought the recipe was a great souvenir until we got back home and realized the recipe is published all over the net.

We finally go around to trying it out. I tossed a couple of portobello's on the wsm while I was doing a brisket over oak. They were on for about 60min and it was plenty to impart a nice smoke to the finished soup. I thought this was a really cool way to use the wsm to produce something out of the ordinary. I recommend the recipe and think it would be a great way to start off a thanksgiving dinner. enjoy!

_MG_8970.JPG

the only tweak to the recipe I suggest is to watch the roux. After pureeing the soup it was fairly thick on its own, and adding the recommend quantity of roux turned the soup into pudding (notice how the soup stands up in the bowl). Add a tbs or two at a time and stop when you've reached your desired consistency. Roux thickens after the soup boils so keep that in mind when adding it.

J,

I recently attended a cooking class by a great Chef in Hilton Head. He recommended to not add a roux or flour or any starchy addition to soups. He adds a bit (one or two tablespoons) of arborio rice instead and lets it simmer for the 20 minutes or so before doing the puree step. I will try this when I make this recipe.

Thanks for posting this.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I recently attended a cooking class by a great Chef in Hilton Head. He recommended to not add a roux or flour or any starchy addition to soups. He adds a bit (one or two tablespoons) of arborio rice instead and lets it simmer for the 20 minutes or so before doing the puree step. I will try this when I make this recipe.

Thanks for posting this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

welcome.

you're are totally right though, it probably didn't need to be thickened at all. I used the crappy boat motor (hand mixer) on it instead of a blender, so I can't say what the consistency would be like if it were properly pureed and possibly passed through a chinios. it was a weekday meal so it didn't get the same attention as it would have if it were the weekend. notice the chive oil wasn't strained properly either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> HOLY SMOKED FUNGUS BATMAN! I've got to try that!!

Larry Wolfe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look forward to reading the post at the wolf pit
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> J, yet another home run my friend!

Big Tim <>>< </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm no hideki matsui
icon_rolleyes.gif
but thanks.

Back