Charcoal Ring

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
I assume everyone is making the charcoal ring for their mini with expanded sheet metal but I haven't seen many examples. If you've made one, do you mind posting pics & suggestions? Happy Smoking.

I must be one of the few mini builders that have stayed away from building a charcoal ring. I just don't see the purpose. For longer cooks, I want to be able to load as much fuel as I can possibly cram into the bottom of my smoker. To me, the charcoal ring reduces the amount of space I can fill with precious fuel. They look really cool, but again, IMO, it reduces the amount of charcoal I can load into my mini.
Tim

I'm with you on that one Tim. So far I've managed to get 14 hours on a fill using lump and cooking around 225-250. I can't imagine a charcoal ring increasing that or giving any tangible benefit on my SJS-based mini, but perhaps it's different for those that used a Gold with the side vents?
I must be one of the few mini builders that have stayed away from building a charcoal ring. I just don't see the purpose. For longer cooks, I want to be able to load as much fuel as I can possibly cram into the bottom of my smoker. To me, the charcoal ring reduces the amount of space I can fill with precious fuel. They look really cool, but again, IMO, it reduces the amount of charcoal I can load into my mini.
Tim

I used a 10" bottomless ss cake pan purchased off Amazon and drilled the air holes in the sides. Works great, just like its big brothers, but I also used the silver and put regular vent dampers in the bottom section.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the reason is for the charcoal ring is but if it works for those that use it great. I don't use one on my silver and have had no issues without a ring. I do have a tuna/chicken can turned upside down sitting on the vent with holes punched in the sides at what would be the bottom of the can to prevent ash from cover up the vent. Works great!

Back