Grilled Garlic Stuffed Onion

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I make this occasionally when I am cooking chicken because it takes about the same amount of time as the bird. The family really enjoys this recipe.

Ingredients:

1 medium to large Onion (Vidalia or Texas Sweet)
12-15 cloves garlic - peeled and trimmed
1 TBS Olive Oil - (use the good stuff)
1/2 tsp - Seasoned Salt (I use Slap Ya Mama)

Procedure:

Peel the onion carefully and cut the bottom very close to the root end leaving it mostly intact (If you chop it off the onion will leak or fall apart). Cut about 1/2-3/4 inch of the top of the onion off and discard. Cut a cone shaped piece from the top down into the center of the onion (sort of like you would do to make a Jack-O-Lantern from a pumpkin). Save the cone shaped piece as it will become the top of your finished onion. Using a melon baller scoop out a large enough cavity in the center of the onion to contain the garlic (use the onion meat for something else or put it in your stock kit). Add the garlic cloves to the cavity and drizzle with the olive oil - drizzle the outside too. Sprinkle with the seasoned salt, replace the cap, and wrap in HD aluminum foil. Grill along side chicken over a medium hot fire turning frequently. Cooking time depends upon a number of factors but you can tell when it is done by squeezing. When it is soft and gives nicely when squeezed gently - it is done. I usually unwrap mine and place in a bowl then slice it up for service.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.

Regards,

John

Back