1st time power up - garbage on LCD display

Ryan Evans

TVWBB Member
Finally got around to powering up my HM and to my worst nightmares I did not get the friendly "No pit probe". I instead got a scrolling display of garbage. Can someone out there please help me?

10119032566_d275c567de_z.jpg

Thanks so much,

Ryan

Last edited:
Not too sure about the display problem. But, I use flickr too. I find that if I locate the image size I want to share and right click on it then, copy image location, I get a link that will work. The trick is that the forums expect the URL to contain a filename that ends in an image extension, like jpg or png. Flickr usually encrypts the URLs. So, unless you use a trick like I suggested, your URL ends with a random string of numbers and letters.

Darren,

That was what I needed to make the picture display. You would think flickr would offer a nonencrypted link...

Well, does anyone else have any ideas about my display now that you can see the photo?

Thanks,

Ryan

1st guess would be the flash didn't take.
Did the Rpi boot? Can you access the web config? If so, you can try to re-flash the HM.
If not, can you see the Rpi on the network? (check your router info).
I think the 1st thing I'd do is re-image the SD card & start over.

If it is showing garbage, then the firmware installed just fine. If the firmware is bunk, it would just not display anything because those displays have nothing on them by default. You didn't put a "heatermeter.hexA" on did you? If it did the auto-flash, or you installed the standard regular hex for v3.2/v4.0+ boards, all I can say is check your solder connections to the ATmega, shift register, and LCD pinheader.

Well apparently my HM needed some time to come around to me.

10779424096_774cac8b22_c_d.jpg

I did a continuity check as Bryan suggested. Everything checked out aOK. I put the soldering iron to a couple of joints that looked a little fat, plugged it back into the USB port and viola, I see the beautifull No Pit Probe message.

Thanks so much eveyone for the help.

Ryan

Nice work Ryan. Glad to see you got it working. I am waiting on all my materials to come in to build a couple of these. I'm a little nervous about doing electronics work as it's been years... What pit probes are you going with?

Dave,

Sorry for the delay. I am using the standard ET-732 probes.

As far as being nervous, don't be. Bryan did an excellent job a making the wiki to follow. Just be patient and look at the photos if you have any doubts.

Ryan

Back