Is my butt too small??

B Stone

TVWBB Member
For comps, I've always used a Boston butt about 8 lbs each. I recently experimented with doing a HH (275-285) cook and did so with some smaller butts (say about 5 lbs each). I really liked the way that turned out and really enjoyed the shortened time of the cook. I think that competition conventional wisdom says go big (8lbs-ish), but I'd like to try and replicate the smaller butt/HH experience. Any thoughts/insights as to why going with the smaller butt for an upcoming comp might be a bad idea? I can't think of any, but you folks know infinitely better than me. I would cook an extra butt to offset the size difference. Thanks in advance. [I would post a picture of my little butt(s), but don't know how; I'll try to read on the forum to find out after I post this]

Asked no woman ever :eek:
I think if you can cook it well, go for it! The only thing to stop you would be any regulations, for example if it's a KCBS contest the butt has to weigh at least 5 pounds:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.

I've done big butts and I've done small butts. For me it depends on the situation. I feel like a big butt gives me more to work with at turn in time, giving me more choice pieces to submit. But a smaller butt will certainly shorten the cook time and I've used them too. Either way I always do 2 at a time for comps. Now that I have my WSM and can do long cooks without the constant need for attention that my old off-set needed, I'll probably go bigger so I can fire it up the night before.
Ultimately it's like Greg said, make sure it's big enough for the comp requirement.

31662483.jpg

Back