Competition pork question

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
I've entered what will be my third competition next month, and this will be the first one with multiple meat categories. It's a backyard competition and has ribs, chicken , and pork(either loin or tenderloin)according to the rules.

Having not cooked pork loin or pork tenderloin very often, I was wondering which would be the best one to use for competition?

Is there one that more teams use as opposed to the other?
Any negatives or drawbacks using either one?

That's tough, they're both lean and tough to smoke. Easiest would probably be tenderloin and just grill it on four sides and throw some wood chips on your grill and try to impart a bit of smoke flavor. I'd brine whichever one you choose as well. Will they let you stuff it? The loin lends itself to being stuffed and you can do some really great fillings with fruit (apricot, figs, etc) based stuffings.

Some backyard competitions try to follow a sanctioning body's rules (even if this is not a sanctioned contest) closely while other are more open to variations. What does this competition's rules allow ?

9. MEAT CATEGORIES - the following categories are:
Chicken: The team may cook chicken whole, halved, or individual pieces.
Pork Ribs: Loin back (baby back) or spare ribs only, meat on the bone. No country style ribs and no chopped, pulled, or sliced rib meat loose in the box.
Pork Loin: May be Bone in or Boneless Loin or Tenderloin
10. JUDGING - contest allows for blind judging only. Entries will be submitted in an approved container, with NO garnish, or
decorating of any kind. Only the entry to be judged is allowed in the container. Marking of any kind will disqualify the entry. Each entry will be judged on PRESENTATION, TASTE / FLAVOR, and TENDERNESS / TEXTURE. Meat may be sauced or not sauced.
A minimum of 6 separate and identifiable portions must be submitted.
11. SCORING - Each entry will be scored by 6 judges in the areas of PRESENTATION, TASTE / FLAVOR, and TENDERNESS / TEXTURE. Scoring will range from a low of 1 to a high of 5 for Presentation, from a low of 1 to a high of 15 for Taste, from a low of 1 to a high of 10 for Tenderness. Any entry that is disqualified as per section 12 will receive a score of zero for all three categories from all six judges at that table.

That's what the rules state. Doesn't look like they are using any sanctioning body for judging this contest. It's at the MN Renaissance Festival. Kinda lame, but probably gonna be a smaller comp which is good since I've only got 2 comps under my belt so far.

The reason I asked is pretty well spelled out in section 9. They are looking for meat only w/o any kind of stuffing.
I do not compete, just judge ;) and the categories are a little different than our normal 4 meats.

Hopefully a competitor with experience in pork loin will chime in.
Otherwise, since you'll probably do a trial cook or two, try each and see what turns out best for you.
After all, judges are to judge what is presented to them, not what they prefer.

Wishing you and your team BBQ Excellence !

Bob

That crown roast must be presented with at least 6 separate pieces for the judges AND fit into a standard turn-in box. Otherwise he could get disqualified.

Sounds good Mike. I'm entered for the Saturday, Sept 28th date. Dont wanna do Sunday since football season will have started by then.

Tony

Back