Science of Processing Meat

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
The "Barbecuing" forum is described as the art and science of barbecuing. Many of us have not been exposed to the science of barbecuing. I had the pleasure of talking with a multi-decade employee of a multi-decade old firm that provides commercial meat processing equipment. For us that means smokers. But no, these are not smokers. They dry meat, cool meat, cook meat, steam meat, cold shower meat and yes even smoke meat. See in the world of meat processors, all these factors matter. Smoke house temperature, meat temperature, humidity, surface condition of the meat (tacky moist for better smoke results), 'dry' cook temp, steam cook temp....
I was blown away by the capabilities of this equipment. One smokehouse has the capability for 15 stages or steps to a given cooking/smoking process. They have recommendations to program for each meat.

As an aside, I wonder why so much commercial product is just very average. Their are lots of reasons and that is a different conversation.

So as I think about how I have simplified my procedures, I wonder how much better my bbq could be. My assumption is that anyone who does not understand all those factors and the timing of each, may not be producing the best bbq possible. Do not get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my bbq but could it be significantly better? I think about the cookers I've seen at competitions...I do not believe they this type of control at their disposal.

By the way, I think you can have one of those for $35-40,000.

I would like nothing more than to see a 35 or 40 grand processor get its can kicked by a guy with a kettle or WSM!

Not suggesting, by any means, that we dramatically change something we so much enjoy. However, years ago, I went to cooking in a dry environment. I started using a Piedmont Pan. Would I be better off using some water in a pan at the start? Some processors spray the meat (with water) before smoking. Perhaps the yellow mustard slather technique has real merit. Not for adding flavor of mustard , not for holding rub but for adding surface moisture! Some of the methods folks use may work to our advantage for reasons other than what we have come to understand.

Seems to me that most of the good Delis hold briskets in a steam table, which makes a moist and very tender sandwich.
I might try that on my next brisket.
Good thread!

Tim

Back