How to clean water bowl

Andy V

TVWBB Member
So the water bowl ended up evaporating all of the water and when this happened the fat dripped on the bowl. It is burn on like concrete. This stuff is stuck on good. I have soaked and boiled water in it with no result. Any tips

Get off what you can and don't worry about it. The food doesn't touch the water bowl and the flavor of the finished product won't be affected by a less than clean water bowl.
You could order the Brinkman Charcoal Bowl if you don't like having a dirty water bowl. I've done cooks lasting almost 16hrs with that bowl and have never had to add water. If you run that pan dry then you should probably throttle back on the bottom vents a little.

Saw a tip from one of the fellows on this site regarding the grates, should work for the bowl too.
Take the bowl and spray it down with oven cleaner and stick it inside a plastic bag and leave it for awhile. Come back and hose it off.
Another guy said to stick it in your house oven and put the oven clean cycle on.
One of maybe both should work I would think.

My water bowl is covered in foil. I never use water in it anymore, and I tend to not clean it...ever.

A buddy's isn't even foiled, it's just well seasoned with yummy smelling burnt grease.

I think as long as you use your smoker regularly, it's not a big deal. If you don't use it for a while and it gets funky, run it hot to burn out the funk without any food before the next use.

Try goo gone. They have it at home depot. It seems to work wonders on everything else

You can try a solvent of some sort - Goo Gone, Simple Green, oven cleaner, whatever - but you run the risk of leaving behind a residue which will add a nasty taste to your food. Just a word to the wise. If you're going to use a solvent, you have to go all the way to clean; otherwise, leave it alone.

I would try oven cleaner, I bought a OTG at a garage sale and sprayed it down with it, forgot about for a couple of days then rinsed it out with a garden hose and a little 0000 steel wool and the inside looked brand new.

I aways burn a batch of charcoal thru it when I'm done, but it worked like a dream.

My water bowl is covered in foil. I never use water in it anymore, and I tend to not clean it...ever.

A buddy's isn't even foiled, it's just well seasoned with yummy smelling burnt grease.

I think as long as you use your smoker regularly, it's not a big deal. If you don't use it for a while and it gets funky, run it hot to burn out the funk without any food before the next use.

This is my method.......I use a dry foiled pan and rarely clean it. Once in a while I hit it with a wire brush. That's about it.

Back